Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Smart ForTwo Electric

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Richard

Midbass

For the midbass, I'm using the Audible Physics H6MB in the stock door locations.

Nothing to show, so I don't have pictures. Info on the midbass are here:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...3-post559.html

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Richard

Subwoofer

For the sub, I'm using an 8" Alpine Type R, in a prefab enclosure that goes under the passenger footwell. Absolutely zero footspace is taken up, and all the mounting points for the enclosure are pre-existing in the vehicle. An up front sub is pretty sweet.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Richard

Midrange

And finally, for the midrange, I'm using the Audible Physics AR3-A (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...4-post563.html).

This is the only part of the build that required custom fabrication. I enlisted the assistance of JT (of JT Audio and Accessories) to fabricate A-pillars for the midranges. As usual, he did not disappoint.

and installed

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Richard

Re: 2013 Smart ForTwo Electric

So that's it. With the exception of the A-pillars, pretty much a pure stealth install. How does it sound? Well, it doesn't have the same presence as MrsPapasin's Smart, nor the dynamics of my Civic, but it sure beats the OEM setup by a long shot! We've had a couple tuning sessions on it on our own (many thanks to MrsPapasin for her ears) and I am quite happy with how it sounds and images.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Mark
    Vehicle
    2007 Ford Mustang

Really like the use of space, not having to sacrifice usable space in a car this size seems critical especially if you use it as your daily driver.

Where exactly does the sub enclosure mount on the passenger side?

6. Back To Top    #16

2013 Smart ForTwo Electric

I love the up front sub, and the simplicity of the whole install.
    Sorry if I missed it but how do you connect up to the battery on one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    Where exactly does the sub enclosure mount on the passenger side?
    It is physically located behind the glovebox, above the passenger footwell. There is actually a sizable amount of space back there. The airspace of the enclosure is about 0.3-0.4 cubic feet. The mounting points for the enclosure are visible in the pic I included. There's one on the front right corner and there is a metal bar that extends to both hold and anchor the back left. It is super solid and doesn't move.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ben54b View Post
    Sorry if I missed it but how do you connect up to the battery on one of these.
    You didn't miss it as this is one of the things I failed to document. There is a normal 12V battery under the passenger footwell just like a gasoline SmartForTwo. Only difference is rather than having an alternator charge the 12V battery, a DC to DC converter is used to charge it from the monster battery bank for the electric motor. We were at a park with a few local car audio guys and maybe gave a dozen demos with this guy. The overall charge from the main battery bank went down by something like 2%. So cool thing is if I ever take this to a GTG (I suppose if it is within its limited range or I put it on a trailer), it will have plenty of playtime. The other cool thing I suppose is I will not need a power supply to ever charge the battery, since that's all built-in and if I'm home I can always plug into my level-2 charger or if I'm at someone else's house the level-1 charger is always handy in the back.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Damon
    Vehicle
    '10 VW JSW

Quote Originally Posted by papasin View Post
    I love how this pic is of the Smart on your walkway... Do you drive this thing on the sidewalks too?

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Richard

2013 Smart ForTwo Electric

Quote Originally Posted by DRTHJTA View Post
    I love how this pic is of the Smart on your walkway... Do you drive this thing on the sidewalks too?
    Lol. We put the Smart on occasion on our walkway because it's a great place to wash the car. The garage blocks the afternoon sun perfectly.