Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Could use some advice from the guru's!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Hey everyone! ! I have a project I'm about to start. Usually I start projects and find things out along the way. But I know it's smarter to do the research first, lol.

    So..... I have a 07 Toyota Tundra and I will be installing a 10" tablet in place of the stock radio. I know some have used a single din to run the sound through, but I recently saw a Bluetooth loc. Wondering if anyone has any experienced these?

    I currently have a jbl ms8 processor, but I have been thinking of getting rid of it to get a high end stereo that can do the processing. Anyone know the pro's & cons of each?

    My other dilemma is I would like to see if there is a way to have the video go from the tablet to 2 headrest monitors in the back. I thought if I can find a multi media unit that will take hdmi then that might work. Any thoughts?

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Owner BigAl205's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alan
    Location
    Hayden, AL
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71
    Posts
    5,697
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    That's quite a laundry list. I doubt that you'll find any of the video distribution capabilities in a single-DIN radio. If you went with a double-DIN, the new Pioneers have built-in DSP and can mirror your iPad/iPod, but it would defeat the purpose of installing the iPad in the dash.

    Another option would to modify a Pure i20 to hook up to your iPad http://www.amazon.com/Pure-i-20-30-P...ords=pure+i+20. It would give you pure digital out that you could go straight into a DSP with optical in...such as the PPI DSP-8 http://redirect.viglink.com?key=4a945cfecb8cedfbd63867859 1f0e3dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicelectronix.com%2Fi tem_88333_Precision-Power-PPI-DSP-88R.html.
    It also has a composite video output that you might could use for rear screens.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    That's quite a laundry list. I doubt that you'll find any of the video distribution capabilities in a single-DIN radio. If you went with a double-DIN, the new Pioneers have built-in DSP and can mirror your iPad/iPod, but it would defeat the purpose of installing the iPad in the dash.

    Another option would to modify a Pure i20 to hook up to your iPad http://www.amazon.com/Pure-i-20-30-P...ords=pure+i+20. It would give you pure digital out that you could go straight into a DSP with optical in...such as the PPI DSP-8 http://redirect.viglink.com?key=4a945cfecb8cedfbd63867859 1f0e3dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicelectronix.com%2Fi tem_88333_Precision-Power-PPI-DSP-88R.html.
    It also has a composite video output that you might could use for rear screens.
    Thus is great info and I appreciate your response! !!

    But I'm looking for android products because I'm sort of against iphone, lol. Also I do have a jbl ms8 8ch processor but I'm curious what the majority chooses. Either a internal processor inside the hu or external.

    I'm also looking for any adapters I don't know about yet for running video from the tablet to a "media center" type thing

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Owner BigAl205's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alan
    Location
    Hayden, AL
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71
    Posts
    5,697
    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Ah, sorry about that...I could have sworn you said iPad. Most people on here use external processors, but you may have trouble finding a tablet with digital audio out. Bluetooth works pretty well playing music, but it's not quite the quality that a wired connection would be. I'm sort of in the same boat, I have the Galexy Note 4 and a Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS, but I can't get the radio to mirror the phone's display. I can use the phone as an audio source via Bluetooth, but the sound just isn't as good as the iPod connection.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Big Daddy chad's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Location
    East-Central Illinois
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si
    Posts
    1,182
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    The Samsung devices will allow you to use a USB DA converter, others may also. The Behringer UCA202 has both analog and optical out. they also sound pretty damn good.

    Charging is a bit of an issue, I do not know if they do wireless charging, if so that is one option, another is to search OTG charging for your device model.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Tympanic Assault Vehicle Darkrider's Avatar
    Real Name
    Forrest
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle
    2010 Camaro SS/RS, 2015 KIA Forte5 SX
    Posts
    13
    Join Date
    May 2014

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Ah, sorry about that...I could have sworn you said iPad. Most people on here use external processors, but you may have trouble finding a tablet with digital audio out. Bluetooth works pretty well playing music, but it's not quite the quality that a wired connection would be. I'm sort of in the same boat, I have the Galexy Note 4 and a Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS, but I can't get the radio to mirror the phone's display. I can use the phone as an audio source via Bluetooth, but the sound just isn't as good as the iPod connection.
    Al, have you tried using Appradio Unchained Reloaded? It's a frickin expensive app (like $30), but it is supposed to allow full mirroring, even on the Note 4. Will only work if you have a rooted Note 4 though.
    2010 Camaro SS: Pioneer DEX-P99RS & Pioneer AVH-X7500BT - Focal KRX2 - JL Audio 13w6v2 - Mosconi AS200.4 (x2) - Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 - Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
    2015 Kia Forte 5 SX: Pioneer DEX-P99RS & Pioneer AVH-X7500BT - Focal KRX2 - JL Audio 13w6v2 - Mosconi AS200.4 (x2)

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    That's quite a laundry list. I doubt that you'll find any of the video distribution capabilities in a single-DIN radio. If you went with a double-DIN, the new Pioneers have built-in DSP and can mirror your iPad/iPod, but it would defeat the purpose of installing the iPad in the dash.

    Another option would to modify a Pure i20 to hook up to your iPad http://www.amazon.com/Pure-i-20-30-P...ords=pure+i+20. It would give you pure digital out that you could go straight into a DSP with optical in...such as the PPI DSP-8 http://redirect.viglink.com?key=4a945cfecb8cedfbd63867859 1f0e3dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicelectronix.com%2Fi tem_88333_Precision-Power-PPI-DSP-88R.html.
    It also has a composite video output that you might could use for rear screens.
    Regarding the Bluetooth loc, or line output converter, it's a device that converts high-level speaker signals into low-level RCA signals. This allows you to connect an aftermarket amplifier to your factory head unit. It can be a useful device if you're looking to upgrade your sound system without replacing the entire head unit. However, the quality of sound can be affected by the signal level, so it's important to choose a high-quality Bluetooth loc.

    As for the JBL MS8 processor versus a high-end stereo, the main difference is the level of customization and tuning. The MS8 offers advanced signal processing and tuning capabilities, which can be challenging to replicate with an aftermarket head unit. However, a high-end stereo can offer similar or better sound quality while providing additional features such as Bluetooth connectivity and built-in amplifiers. Ultimately, it depends on your specific needs and preferences.

    Regarding your desire to connect the tablet to two headrest monitors in the back, there are several options available. One way is to use an HDMI splitter to connect the tablet to both monitors. Another option is to use a multimedia unit with HDMI inputs, which can distribute the signal to multiple displays. It's important to ensure that the monitors are compatible with the tablet's output resolution and that you have a reliable power source for the monitors.

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Noob Jdunk54nl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Location
    Phoenix
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited
    Posts
    1,053
    Join Date
    Oct 2019

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaBecker View Post
    Regarding the Bluetooth loc, or line output converter, it's a device that converts high-level speaker signals into low-level RCA signals. This allows you to connect an aftermarket amplifier to your factory head unit. It can be a useful device if you're looking to upgrade your sound system without replacing the entire head unit. However, the quality of sound can be affected by the signal level, so it's important to choose a high-quality Bluetooth loc.

    As for the JBL MS8 processor versus a high-end stereo, the main difference is the level of customization and tuning. The MS8 offers advanced signal processing and tuning capabilities, which can be challenging to replicate with an aftermarket head unit. However, a high-end stereo can offer similar or better sound quality while providing additional features such as Bluetooth connectivity and built-in amplifiers. Ultimately, it depends on your specific needs and preferences.

    Regarding your desire to connect the tablet to two headrest monitors in the back, there are several options available. One way is to use an HDMI splitter to connect the tablet to both monitors. Another option is to use a multimedia unit with HDMI inputs, which can distribute the signal to multiple displays. It's important to ensure that the monitors are compatible with the tablet's output resolution and that you have a reliable power source for the monitors.

    This is an 8 year old thread.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar
    Location
    Northridge, CA
    Posts
    670
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Necro bandwagon!
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Could use some advice from the guru's!

    Helo all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back To Top