99 Contour SVT

Cool Obsidian Audio

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12d2_bstock.JPG 
Views:	7687 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	3900

Obsidian Audio
    Obsidian Audio came on the scene very quietly, but now that some budget builders have caught onto this brand, and started building major SPL systems with it. Obsidian Audio has really taken off. A little back story about Obsidian Audio is that it's a merger between Sundown Audio, and Stereo Integrity. Now this is not a entire company merger, but some big wigs at both companies got together to make an effective yet affordable subwoofers. And, thus Obsidian Audio was born. Now you can't go wrong with any size subwoofer from Obsidian.

All of their subwoofers are rated 600 watts RMS, 2.5 inch dual voice coil, 4 gauge speaker terminals, and comes in dual 2 and 4 ohm configuration. Ranging from 10 inches, all the way to 18 inches. And, if that doesn't excite you. then the price will. With their 10 inch subs coming in at $135 + shipping, 12 inch coming in at $145 + shipping, 15 inch coming in at $165 + shipping, and their 18 inch coming in at $195 + shipping. Making these subs affordable for any basshead on a budget, and the enclosure specs make them even better for those who have small amounts of area to spare.
    Hmmm...

I had no idea
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Obsidian Audio

Nick posted this over at Car Audio Classifieds:

The first question on our Facebook page was "are you going out of business" and here is my reply:

"While I love the performance of the 12" v3, 15" v3, and 18" v2 platforms, and know that they are the best performing OA woofers to date I am not confident in the substantiability of the affordable car audio market so I will not continue to invest in it. However, I do have a LOT of parts to rebuild all versions of OA products (10", 12", 15", 18") over all versions (v1, v2, v3) so all of our drivers can be rebuilt to factory specs."
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3

This was recently? I thought this happened a while ago.
    Build log: 2011 Chevrolet Impala
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370
    Ground Zero GZHA 4200XII & 2400XII

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

i found this a few weeks ago when i was browsing around, it's certainly a bummer. i think part of the lack of widespread success may have been their business model, i can't help but think that if they just made them as a new line under the sundown name they would've sold a whole lot more...

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Serieus View Post
    i found this a few weeks ago when i was browsing around, it's certainly a bummer. i think part of the lack of widespread success may have been their business model, i can't help but think that if they just made them as a new line under the sundown name they would've sold a whole lot more...
    Oh no doubt, you slap "Sundown Audio" on damn near anything at this point and it's going to sell. There is generally a good reason for that though, Jacob has and continues to do great things.

What about their business model besides it being another name led to the downfall?
    Build log: 2011 Chevrolet Impala
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370
    Ground Zero GZHA 4200XII & 2400XII

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

I have found in the past , that companies are not there anymore , was surprised to see this joint-venture from SI & Sundown .

I couldn't tell you when this happened ?

I can tell you when your business plan is doing what you want it to ...

odds are you won't be seeing people talking about "New Management", "New Partners", et, cetera

If this did happen, you might consider looking elsewhere to make money ... say: New Investments
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Oh no doubt, you slap "Sundown Audio" on damn near anything at this point and it's going to sell. There is generally a good reason for that though, Jacob has and continues to do great things.

What about their business model besides it being another name led to the downfall?
    I'm not a business man so bare with me

if I remember right, obsidian was online only, and also only through the obsidian website - not a lot of exposure, really only through word of mouth on forums and then anyone who heard someone from the forums and needed something inexpensive. not a lot of advertising so there really just wasn't a way for the name to spread, whereas sundown has a pretty large chain of dealers at this point - nearly every dealer around where I'm at carries them, though granted I live about an hour from the sundown hq

even without taking the sundown reputation to go with it, they'd have ithe available st their dealers as well as bigger online retailers, like ssa and woofersetc. imho, it's all about exposure for newer brands and i feel like they just didn't have enough by choosing to keep things strictly on their website. which sucks, because Jacob and nick both make some awesome stuff and I'd love to have heard one of the OA subs

having said all that, I'd be curious to know what their reasoning was for keeping it so limited, they've both been more successful than myself thus far so it's clear that they know a thing or two

8. Back To Top    #8

My observations were this. Very limited updates on products either on the web page or other venues (facebook, forums, etc.) I recall many people locally that tried to inquire or order anything got no responses to emails. Seems to me that just a little more effort put into the communication would have gone a long way. Not so much on forums but at least on the web page. But alas, I dont know the full details as to why this may have been. Again, it was just an observation by me.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

So, a half-hearted attempt ?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    So, a half-hearted attempt ?
    From my limited perspective, it appears so.