Thread: Just a little confused

1. Back To Top    #1

Just a little confused

Ok I have 2 JL Audio 12w6 subs the old school dual 6ohm voice coils. And I looked up the manual and shows you can wire them either to a 1.5 ohm load or a 6 ohm load. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427954574413.png 
Views:	256 
Size:	527.8 KB 
ID:	3802
    And the amp I have is a hifonics which is 1 ohm stable. But puts out to many watts for the subs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427954694085.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	503.9 KB 
ID:	3803
    So my question is if I wire the subs to a 6 ohm load will it accept the 2 ohm load from the amp to give me the 750 watts that is the perfect amount of watts needed for the subs? Or when hooked up will it only give me the 475 watts from the 4 ohm?
    Last edited by kevinhernandez84; 04-02-2015 at 01:17 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just a little confused

You should be fine wiring the subs up at 1.5 ohms. Just set your gains correctly, to avoid any clipping issues.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Yeah, that amp is rated 1000w at 1Ω or 750w at 2Ω. Running it at 1.5 would result in something in the middle...but realize that it's only going to hit that wattage if you are running it full blast 100% of the time. As Clay stated, just adjust the gain down to a nice distortion-free setting and rock out. Most quality systems have more power on tap that the driver ever needs, it's what they refer to as overhead.

Think of it like this...if you had a 500hp engine in a compact car, you can choose to go light on the pedal and the car works like normal...or you can romp on it and the car goes like a bat outta hell. Either way it's better than having a little 4-cylinder in an old Cadillac and sometimes WISH you had more power. With amps, it's better to have more clean power than the speaker needs than it is to be underpowered, and have the amp pushing out a distorted signal just trying to keep up with demand.

Welcome to the site

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah the 150% overhead for each sub would rate it at 450 watts each sub so I'm only short by 100 ways but yes when I am listening it's always full volume.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

kevinhernandez84

On your HFi1000D try to keep "bass boost" off or closer to minimal [ centered at 45 hZ ] for cleanest sound.

Wire each sub in series and then wire both subs in parallel to the amp.

G'Luck
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    kevinhernandez84

On your HFi1000D try to keep "bass boost" off or closer to minimal [ centered at 45 hZ ] for cleanest sound.

Wire each sub in series and then wire both subs in parallel to the amp.

G'Luck
    So that would make the subs wired to a 6 ohm load

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

You could wire each sub in parallel , then wire both to the amp in parallel ( I would not recommend this though )

Running anything flat out shortens it's time of operation. The majority though just run it til it quits and buy another amp !
    Last edited by Hic; 04-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

You could wire each sub in parallel , then wire both to the amp in parallel ( I would not recommend this though )

dubbed mah self

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

KevinHernandez84,

How you likin it ? Which way did you wire em up ?