Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2012 FJ Cruiser "Spartan" build

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Benjamin
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 (DT) 5.7 Hemi

Re: 2012 FJ Cruiser "Spartan" build

Wow about sums it up lol, I only wish that I wanted to step outside of my comfort box and have something like this done for me.
    Source: factory
    Amp: Zapco LX
    Processor : Helix Pro & Director
    Speakers : Sinfoni
    Subwoofer : MKV

2. Back To Top    #32
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Is that a Transformer you have hiding in the back of that FJ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavel View Post
    It started as a spartan inspired build, but ended up looking like a spartan samurai transformer... It's open to interpretation...
    Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    You've got an angry owl in your trunk ready to fight:
    Attachment 3779
    Attachment 3780

Kelvin
    I totally saw the owl the whole time. lol.

I tried to track this build and I would right between 45-50 hrs including the final install of the amps, mids, and tweets yesterday... lots of time overall, but it is a pretty complex build to get everything to fit just right accounting for material thickness of the MDF/Trupan, various vinyls, painted inserts, the multiple angles on the enclosure, the crazy angles of the nose bridge, accommodating for excursion for the subs, clearance for the amps... ect, ect... it was nice to have a build that pushed me a little, yet allowed me to play! I was really happy with how I secured everything together and used factory mounting points to secure it to the FJ (forgot to take a picture of that).
    I saw a mention of this on Fab Nation, but didn't realize it was you. THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING. And I don't usually swear on forums, but somehow I feel like it requires profanity! lol At least you didn't come out and say, "And it only took me 4 hours." Cause I'd have gone out to my car and ran a hose from the exhaust pipe into the hatch. lol

3. Back To Top    #33
    DIYMA Dropout
    Real Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    Jetta SW, Torino, F-150

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    I totally saw the owl the whole time. lol.

I saw a mention of this on Fab Nation, but didn't realize it was you. THAT IS FUCKING AMAZING. And I don't usually swear on forums, but somehow I feel like it requires profanity! lol At least you didn't come out and say, "And it only took me 4 hours." Cause I'd have gone out to my car and ran a hose from the exhaust pipe into the hatch. lol
    Thanks man! It's always great when someone as talented as you likes something I've done!!! I was fortunate enough to have the time to do this correctly. I used threaded inserts (hurricane/T-nuts) to make it right and had the luxury to do things like prime/paint the sub rings. That sort of stuff is really time consuming... People seem to lose perspective, that's why I tried to document as much as I could with this so people know how much work actually goes into a build like this. People get sticker shock when you say how much an install like this would cost, but when you say it'll take 40 hrs at a shops rate of $xxx per hour plus $xxx in materials to build, they can see where the money is spent. I know some guys over at fab nation are full of BS when they say it took me 4 hrs to do X. I'm pretty fast at fabricating and know most of the current tricks... Which is how I know a few guys are just trying to amplify their reputation.
    I make the things that go bump in the night...

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

I've never had the opportunity to take any of the Mobile Solutions or Sonus classes, and just kind of pick things up as I go. Mark's videos and some build pics/threads (and the fact I can usually figure out how to do something with a hint) have been super helpful. My sales guy talked a lady out of a $600 custom sub box in a '15 Lexus RX350. He started the conversation over the phone with "Well, my installer says he can make something, but I've gotten more predictable results out of a simple prefab box, so I'd go that way." WTF!?! I bet he'd quote a box like this for like $1000 and think he got more than he needed to. One of these days, I swear I'm just going to up and move to some place where I can do more fab and less remote starters and customer owned crap. Guys like you, Kyle Golden, Tom Miller, Shon Beshara, are on the level I'd like to get to someday. Wish my customers had the budget for stuff like this.

5. Back To Top    #35
    DIYMA Dropout
    Real Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    Jetta SW, Torino, F-150

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    I've never had the opportunity to take any of the Mobile Solutions or Sonus classes, and just kind of pick things up as I go. Mark's videos and some build pics/threads (and the fact I can usually figure out how to do something with a hint) have been super helpful. My sales guy talked a lady out of a $600 custom sub box in a '15 Lexus RX350. He started the conversation over the phone with "Well, my installer says he can make something, but I've gotten more predictable results out of a simple prefab box, so I'd go that way." WTF!?! I bet he'd quote a box like this for like $1000 and think he got more than he needed to. One of these days, I swear I'm just going to up and move to some place where I can do more fab and less remote starters and customer owned crap. Guys like you, Kyle Golden, Tom Miller, Shon Beshara, are on the level I'd like to get to someday. Wish my customers had the budget for stuff like this.
    I'm blushing man, to put me in a category with those guys makes me feel like I'm doing something right! I'm in the same boat as you, I've never been to a class.. I really want to go, I have so much to learn!

I'd say I'm lucky and I've got things good as a fabricator. I do this part time and I am selective of my clients/projects, I only have that luxury because I am not dependent on the income. I do this more for the love of creating things and putting a smile on the faces of people that have been let down going to shops along the way.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

Dave is just proof that with time and knowledge and bit of trial and error, anyone can get to that "next level". Also spending a butt load of cash on templates and tools helps. 11 years ago Dave and I were using whatever we could to get the job done (dave has referenced using the sidewalk as a grinding tool to knock down bondo and resin). Make due with what you have and with persistence and patience, your project will turn out great. Proper planning also goes a LONG way.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

7. Back To Top    #37

2012 FJ Cruiser "Spartan" build

Wow. This takes a "box with amp" concept to a whole new level.

I salute you.........true genius at work.

8. Back To Top    #38

I know some guys over at fab nation are full of BS when they say it took me 4 hrs to do X. I'm pretty fast at fabricating and know most of the current tricks... Which is how I know a few guys are just trying to amplify their reputation.
    I'm glad someone finally came out and said this. An established well designed work space can save a lot of time, but some people claiming all out trunk builds in under 4 hours are either massively cutting corners, or lying. Not sure how either helps build the industry or peoples understanding on the amount of labor a reputable build takes.

9. Back To Top    #39
    DIYMA Dropout
    Real Name
    Dave
    Vehicle
    Jetta SW, Torino, F-150

Quote Originally Posted by caraudiofab View Post
    I'm glad someone finally came out and said this. An established well designed work space can save a lot of time, but some people claiming all out trunk builds in under 4 hours are either massively cutting corners, or lying. Not sure how either helps build the industry or peoples understanding on the amount of labor a reputable build takes.
    I've thought of saying it on there too Mark, but I don't care for internet wars... I know you are in the same boat. We are more the peace keeping type... we just want to have fun and fab.

10. Back To Top    #40

yet again, stellar work