Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick Tip - Spraying Adhesive for Vinyl or Carpet Wrapping

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

Re: Quick Tip - Spraying Adhesive for Vinyl or Carpet Wrapping

Man, I can't wait to move out of the condo and get a house with garage/workshop so I can get a compressor (among other tools).

For those like me that don't have a compressor to spray on adhesive, this is an excellent alternative. It's Performance High Temp trim adhesive and works quite well. Designed for securing headliners in vehicles with the expectation that they will be exposed to high heat. I've used it for several pieces and it works very well. It's still not quite as nice as the DAP landau weldwood, but is pretty close and probably the best you'll get outside of a compressor and gun.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlineradhesive.asp

2. Back To Top    #12

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    Man, I can't wait to move out of the condo and get a house with garage/workshop so I can get a compressor (among other tools).

For those like me that don't have a compressor to spray on adhesive, this is an excellent alternative. It's Performance High Temp trim adhesive and works quite well. Designed for securing headliners in vehicles with the expectation that they will be exposed to high heat. I've used it for several pieces and it works very well. It's still not quite as nice as the DAP landau weldwood, but is pretty close and probably the best you'll get outside of a compressor and gun.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/headlineradhesive.asp

They also make the Wilsonart in a spray adhesive

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonart...2-oz/202270227
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    They also make the Wilsonart in a spray adhesive

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonart...2-oz/202270227
    Can't say I ever tried the stuff

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2007 Exploder XLT

This is also a great alternative to Weldwood Landau top adhesive. I have always used the "blue can", but here in VA it's for commercial use only and hard to find and have shipped here.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonart...sive/202272666

This is great stuff, it is labeled roller grade, but will spray just fine with an el cheapo Harbor Freight spray gun with a sweet spot regarding pressure at 70 PSI. The great part is you can get it at most Home Depots in the area where you find cabinetry and laminate sheets. If you can get the Weldwood Landau, that is still my first choice.
    Checked with my local home depot for this stuff and was told they stopped selling it about 2 years ago.
    Follow me on Instagram at #bobditts

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Steve
    Vehicle
    2016 Transit Connect

I do have a small compressor now, but not really appropriate for an HVLP gun. It's one of these guys: http://www.rockler.com/how-to/campbe...ately-limited/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campbell-Hausfeld-Air-Compressor_Nailer.jpg 
Views:	4232 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	3755

Is one of these doable for small wrapping projects? Obviously you can't do anything paint-wise because there just isn't enough tank capacity, but might it work ok for some spray adhesive?

6. Back To Top    #16

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    I do have a small compressor now, but not really appropriate for an HVLP gun. It's one of these guys: http://www.rockler.com/how-to/campbe...ately-limited/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campbell-Hausfeld-Air-Compressor_Nailer.jpg 
Views:	4232 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	3755

Is one of these doable for small wrapping projects? Obviously you can't do anything paint-wise because there just isn't enough tank capacity, but might it work ok for some spray adhesive?
    I've never had luck with HVLP guns anyway, just get the cheap blue ABS frame gun from Harbor Freight and spray at 60 PSI, it will work great. Little tip if you ever feel the gun isn't spraying well after some use. Put your finger over the spray head and force air back down through the siphon tube by pulling the trigger while blocking the head ports, this clears the tube and mixes the adhesive a little.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

7. Back To Top    #17

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by bobditts View Post
    Checked with my local home depot for this stuff and was told they stopped selling it about 2 years ago.
    Mine still has it in stock...weird.
    -Albert Einstein

8. Back To Top    #18

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle

-Albert Einstein

9. Back To Top    #19

I've never had luck with HVLP guns anyway, just get the cheap blue ABS frame gun from Harbor Freight and spray at 60 PSI, it will work great. Little tip if you ever feel the gun isn't spraying well after some use. Put your finger over the spray head and force air back down through the siphon tube by pulling the trigger while blocking the head ports, this clears the tube and mixes the adhesive a little.
    Im going to have to try this little trick

10. Back To Top    #20

Thanks for this post captainobvious !