Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "this is dumb" build, AKA my ;92 Corvette Track Car

1. Back To Top    #1

The "this is dumb" build, AKA my ;92 Corvette Track Car

So this is the build for my 1992 Corvette. It's a budget track car, focused mostly on being safe and reliable, but being decent on the long trips out to tracks is a nice thing too.

A little about the car, it's an LT1 car with a 6 speed. It has Z51 springs and control arms, some big ass red sway bars, J55 brakes with stainless steel lines, will be running 275/40/17 Nitto NT05s, and is otherwise stock (no power adders here boys!) It's main purpose is to be reliable, safe, fun, and inexpensive to operate.

I assure you, it is a Corvette, not a late 80s Trans Am.

It originally was a Bose car, but that's long been removed. It currently has a Pioneer F90BT or something along those lines running Pioneer 5.25 coaxs up front (these are corner boxes from the factory, and they totally drown out all high frequencies), and Pioneer 6.5" coaxs in the back (in stock Bose boxes again, which are on the sides of the car firing into the rear glass and are essentially the only speakers you hear). Needless to say, it sounds terrible. Like, absolutely terrible.

So the F90BT had one huge drawback, no built in Bluetooth A2DP. I rectified this using one of those cheapo a2dp receivers that plug in to a USB port. The USB Port is hooked to a 12V USB adapter, and powered off the switched power line, then plugged in to the aux input. Easy enough.

The next step was fixing the sound. The current plan is to run a pair of Kenwood 6.5" Dualmag components up front. I have them already, and they're light (neo magnets and composite frames for race cars!) The rear speakers aren't going to be speakers at all, they're going to be Pyle 8" subwoofers, because they were cheap. Like $18 each cheap. If you can't tell, this is being done on a nearly $0 budget. I'm going to be running some sort of cmall, and of course cheap, 4 channel amplifier. I'm watching the ebay for that still.

So the rear speakers are going to get MDF baffles made to replace the ABS baffles used for the fronts of the Bose boxes. I will likely try to take a similar approach for the front speakers if it's possible. The amp will go in the storage compartment in the back. Everything will hopefully look stock, and take up none of my precious cargo space, as the car will still have to haul a tent, chairs, tools, clothes, etc. with a roll bar taking up more room in the back hatch. The tweeters, I'm not sure about yet. The factory tweeters were installed in the kick panels, right next to the woofers. I'll probably try them out there and see if they work out, they sit closer to the driver so with some EQ adjusments they may work. I'd really like if it I didn't have to fiberglass them into the A pillars for them to sound decent.

So I'd wanted to do a stupid low budget build for a while, as everyone seems to be all about the insanely expensive boutique stuff. Think of this as sort of a revival of the spirit of "the old place" where we Did It Yourself in Mobile Audio. Basic breakdown is below.

HU: Pioneer AVIC-F90BT - $250 on ebay
    Fronts: Kenwood Excelon XR71p - free (probably paid like $75 for them on ebay like 5 years ago)
    Subs: 2x Pyle PLPW8D - $18 each on Amazon, so $36
    Budget for the amp is to stay under $75, preferably more like $50.

So anyways... stay tuned.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: The "this is dumb" build, AKA my ;92 Corvette Track Car

I'm tuned. And I like where this is going
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Fauee...where the hell ya been, man?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Benjamin
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 (DT) 5.7 Hemi

In since I'm a fan of low budget reliable track runs.
    Source: factory
    Amp: Zapco LX
    Processor : Helix Pro & Director
    Speakers : Sinfoni
    Subwoofer : MKV

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Fauee...where the hell ya been, man?
    Been busy. Bought a house, travel a lot for work... the usual stuff really.

6. Back To Top    #6

Low-budget.....what a concept. I like your thinking. Keep at it. Let me know how the 8s work out.

7. Back To Top    #7

So I got the last piece of the puzzle today. Snagged a PowerBass 400.4x for $47 shipped. It's rated at 50x4 @ 4, and 100 @ 2. Since the subs are DVC 4s, this works out superb. Not a ton of power, and probably not super clean, but it should work.

So with the wood and Jigsaw to make my baffles, I think I'm in to this stereo system for about $450 total. Sweet.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, this was lame. Turns out the seller for my amp fell off the face of the planet. I paid, they never shipped or responded to anything. eBay/Paypal obviously decided in my favor and gave me my money back, however I have no amp, so it's a slight step back. Back to watching ebay.

9. Back To Top    #9

well,that sucks...

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

what are you looking for?