Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your thoughts on Stereo Integrity 6.5 versus Morel Hybrid Ovation

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Your thoughts on Stereo Integrity 6.5 versus Morel Hybrid Ovation

Quote Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
    5cu ft? Them's some big doors!

Mine have typically been around 2.5-3.5 cubic feet. But then again, my cars are usually sporty compacts.

I just ballparked a larger sedan door. figured 1ft deep, 2.5ft wide and tall. Even if you go with a smaller door enclosure of something like 8"x24"x24" you're still at 2.7ft^3, which is over 4x Vas, when the Qts is pretty low. But, again, once you add any filtering, you essentially alter the alignment (Qtc) and this is less of a concern. It has plenty of throw to maintain composure even with a lower crossover point; I just wouldn't do it.

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    IMHO, the overall Le on these is rather high for 2-way use. Based on the data presented, I'd expect it to roll off earlier than most other drivers intended for crossing to a tweeter in the typical 2-3khz range. I think Nick set out to make this a shallow mount midbass, in which case with a proper HPF, I think it's a great performer. Otherwise, it reminds me a lot of the Exodus Anarchy in that for 2-way use, it's wouldn't be my first choice.
    Looking at the specs, Le is 0.82 with a Re of 6.8 ohm. Since it's a dual 4 ohm driver, shouldn't we read Le: 0.205 with a Re around 2 ohm?

Kelvin

3. Back To Top    #23

I'm going off the Klippel results which show the resting point at 1.0mH and the outer bounds at 1.4mH for a total inductance swing of 0.4mH.

Compared to something like the Scan 18wu (yes, much more expensive, but it's class leader) at 0.25mH max down to about 0.175, for a total swing of 0.075mH at over 9mm (suspension limited; >12mm inductance limited). If you run the numbers, inductance limiting value is 5.5mm for the SI using the same methods. I'm not saying the SI is bad.... Given inductance is the primary cause of IMD I'm just saying, as I said before, based on the data I've seen, I'm not so sure it's best purpose is as a 2-way midwoofer. As a dedicated midbass, with something like 7-9mm one-way (can't recall exactly what the final product will hit) at $95/each (iirc), it's a killer midbass product. It could also serve use as a midwoofer in a 2-way, but again, that wouldn't be how I'd use it.

4. Back To Top    #24

Thanks for the explanation, went to look at the Klippel report again and you're right.
    I think I remember a thread where Nick tried to discredit what you were saying about the importance of Le - or something like that...

Kelvin

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Rich

So how about the Satori that Erin has in the group buy?

How well would this thing work in a car door? Would it an improvement over my Ovations? Got the urge to try something different but only in the interest of making an improvement. Ovations currently play from 75-2500 hertz.
    Last edited by Salami; 03-21-2015 at 12:59 PM.