Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on upgrading to dual subs?

1. Back To Top    #1

Questions on upgrading to dual subs?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and had a few questions... When upgrading from a single subwoofer setup to dual using the old sub and new in the same enclosure, will the difference in suspension stiffness have any negative affects on sound quality, output or do damage to the sub or amp? Do I need to brake in the new sub before pairing it up with the older one? Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Questions on upgrading to dual subs?

Hello and Welcome!

Which sub woofers are you using? What size is the enclosure? What amplifier are you using?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. This is for a future setup so I don't have anything yet. I'm planning on going with a soundqubed HDC3.1 15 with a Q1 2200D in around 4 cubic ft ported enclosure. Then later on upgrading to two of them.
    Last edited by zanter22; 11-11-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Oh wow, we have some members here using Audioque/Soundqubed products. Good stuff for sure!

That amp will definitely handle those subwoofers, no problem. Will you have separate chambers for each subwoofer?

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't decided yet. Will there be a problem with running two differently broken in subs in the same chamber?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

If they both have the same parameters, you should be okay...but I always recommend doing divided chambers.

...and welcome to CAJ!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

I'll be running dual subwoofers in an upcoming build, and will be using separate ported enclosures as well.

9. Back To Top    #9

My biggest concern was that the old and new subwoofers would work against each other if put in the same chamber.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Car audio is the only facet of audio that you will find subwoofers used in divided chambers.

There are two advantages to a common chamber:

1. Averaging, two drivers will never be exactly the same, no matter what age. In a common airspace the two will average out any inconsistencies, especially helpful when using a vented arrangement.
    2. The build will be easier and possibly smaller.

One disadvantage:

1. If you roach one woofer and bang on it like you would a 10 dollar hooker subsequently, the other woofer will fail in short order becasue the other is just flapping in the wind. The enclosure will no longer have the same tuning and the un-driven woofer will not be working in tandem to develop the pressures to keep it in check.. The second failure is 99% of the time a mechanical failure.

You may need more bracing for a common chamber enclosure.

You will likely not have any problems by mixing old with new as long as the old woofer is not flat-out worn out. It is common in pro audio sub enclosures to replace a failed unit and leave the other in the enclosure unless it is completely worn out mechanically. If one gets damaged by rough handling, etc replace it, move on with life. Pro audio drivers get the hell run out of them mechanically, so it's kinda like car audio in that aspect.
    Last edited by chad; 11-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.