Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast

Thread: claydo's rebuild log..........

1. Back To Top    #661

Re: claydo's rebuild log..........

Indeed, I've always been a metal and hard rock fan, with a lot of my favorite music being older/questionable/noisy recordings, one thing that has always held true in my car, is the fact that this type of music must sound good with my final tune. This is why I love the multi-switch option with the apl.....I can setup curves aimed at different types of materials, over top of all the corrections, and reach over an flip on the fly!

2. Back To Top    #662
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

The biggest drawback to me is that it's an extra thing to buy...and a pretty pricey thing at that. I'm sure most people are mentally weighing bang-per-buck, and since you still have to have a processor, does this little guy do enough to justify another $500? Now, if this thing took the place of a full DSP, I'm sure they would be flying off the shelf, no matter what country or language it comes from.

3. Back To Top    #663

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    The biggest drawback to me is that it's an extra thing to buy...and a pretty pricey thing at that. I'm sure most people are mentally weighing bang-per-buck, and since you still have to have a processor, does this little guy do enough to justify another $500? Now, if this thing took the place of a full DSP, I'm sure they would be flying off the shelf, no matter what country or language it comes from.
    but isn't that the world today?

a miracle drug, commands miracle pricing.

and it's not the most expensive doo-dad, out there either. I see it as the all too uncommon delivery of corrections that isn't yet available in any other form, or fitment.

what it obviously boils down to is if the corrections applied, actually force 99% of the population into a "greater than" result.

I think that's what is happening, the voodoo in the box, is like old lady make-up. Us, (old ladies) tend to spend exorbitant amounts on ever-decreasing returns on investment, when it comes to something so shallow and vapid as our appearance or perhaps, our meticulousness.

I say, it floats! haha...

of course, it's mainly an opinion, since I haven't yet gleaned the first-hand experience so many of you dedicated cyber-kinetic minds have had, but whoops! It's the internets, and I can fake it just fine in the meantime.

having loved simple two-channel since the beginning, I'm not sure a DSP is necessary after the apl1 does it's thing, but that poopy cock, is the devil in the details. I've been accused of having too lax a posture to be a true poseur, intricately enter-twined with the mundane.

4. Back To Top    #664

When I got home from my last trip I climbed into my Miata with a bit of apprehension. Was the awesome sound I was able to get from my APL just me wanting it to sound good? Would listening with fresh ears leave me disappointed? Would I regret spending so much time and money on the device, software, and research?

I pushed in the clutch and turned the key, the car fired up and settled into an idle. I took my phone from my pocket and slid it into it's mount, then connected the lightning cable. I opened up the music and, found the "Demo" playlist and hit shuffle. What came out of the speakers was just magic. I have an incredibly simple system, and yet the APL transforms it into something that is just simply enjoyable. All that time and money was well worth it.

I can't wait to hear it after adding an amp, proper crossovers, and replacing the factory tweeters with horns.

5. Back To Top    #665

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Al....uh, that's just the cost of the apl1 unit......don't forget the software......

6. Back To Top    #666

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I invested a lot of time researching this unit and what it can do. Like cajunner, I was curious from the get go, a couple years ago when word of this thing first hit me.....but I couldn't buy into the "magic" nature of what was supposedly delivered from the device. As I dug more and more I found endorsements from a myriad of sources, from established companies and organizations.......so, I started to have hope in some of the exuberant claims of the possibilities of fir processing, as well as Raimonds claims that became present on deema. When members of the car audio community began testing the unit, hanatsu from deema specifically, because I had read much from him, and recognized that he seemed to know what he was doing, and the involvement of Raimonds tech in the Emma championships, my curiosity only grew. All the first hand information I had available was from folks who used it in limited applications, hanatsu initially only used it in a test car, with a much simpler setup than what my car has, a very vocal feller called Alexstrup, or something close to that used a passive setup, once again, not close to what I wanted to try, and then, of course mr lumberman above who applied it in a stock system.......all of these guys swore it was an awesome tool for their stereo needs, but here I was wanting to improve an already rather decent sounding car with a full four way setup. So again I battled my curiosity with no real feedback from implementation in a reference system, from someone I trusted. Eventually the toy budget was able to reach the needed levels, that I blindly walked off a cliff, so to speak, and took the plunge. In hindsight I can now say I'm not sorry, it fulfilled my expectations, and al, my initial buy in costs also included an outboard dsp, because I had previously been processing via the p99 an option that wouldn't work with the apl unit......still, no regrets here......

7. Back To Top    #667

My system isn't quite stock. It has stock tweeters, and (old)IDQ8's in place of the stock speakers, no lowpass on the 8's. I have my phone going digital into the APL1, then analog into an 800PRS. I never listen AM/FM/CD, so this works well for me.

I will soon be switching the 800PRS to Network Mode and powering a set of horns off it, and adding a bridged JL 300/4 for the 8's. I actually have a TwK D8 and Zapco AG200 to power the horns, but I want to keep the system as small and simple as possible. I hope running the horns of the headunit works well.

8. Back To Top    #668

Hmm horns off head power.....they are efficient. When I was reading up tho.....I don't think the 8s had come along yet, had they? Like when ya first tried the apl unit, because I remember you putting a high pass on the factory woofers......that's when I was going back and forth on whether or not to get the unit.......

9. Back To Top    #669
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

The THD from the IC will come through horns .

Will horns work on 14 w rms / 50 w peaks ?

On you tube there is a Monolithic set playin ID horns from 2012 [ Monolithic is putting out 50 class A watts ].
    Last edited by Hic; 04-14-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #670

I installed the 8's a couple months ago. I initially installed the APL1 and 800PRS at the same time with just the factory speakers.

14 watts RMS is more than enough for the horns. They are crazy sensitive, like 110db 1w/1m. Because they are so sensitive, they also don't suffer from power compression. So in theory, at 14 watts they will play at 121db. That's stupid loud.

The 8's are 90db 1w/1m and will need a lot of power to get as loud as the horns do off just 1 watt. The 8's will be my limitation, not the horns or HU power.