Page 106 of 120 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1191

Thread: Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan

1. Back To Top    #1051

Re: Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan

It's just for me.

I've used rear fill like this a few times over the years. IME 30ms delay is really the minimum in my car, otherwise it just gets lost in the noise. I've had to deal with the typical 15ms most of the time but I'll have the ability to get back to a longer delay with the combo of the p99 and JL DSP. But besides that, attenuating the level to match the time is just as important. YMMV of course.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

2. Back To Top    #1052
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    There's a fine line between "works damn well" and "sounds goofy" That 50ms number is pushing the latter quickly... Is any of this for he backseat passengers or just for you?
    Just for him, Chad
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

3. Back To Top    #1053

Got the front speakers wired up last night, set the gains, plugged the car in to the wall and got to work on a tune. Took about 30 minutes with some T/A, levels and crossover and she's sittin' pretty. I'm just totally amazed at how well this system focuses without the need for any L/R EQing and no global EQ yet, either. It's by far the easiest system I've had to tune. As unconventional as the midrange/tweeter installation is, it flat out works. I'm sure as the weeks go by I'll start finding things that need an EQ band or two here or there but so far, so good.

For the first time since May I drove to work with a fully functioning stereo. It was awesome.

I still have to get the rear fill installed and fired up. I also have found that as awesome as the Mc single din meters look with the modded blue LEDs, they don't go well with the car. So, I'll pull the meters at some point and re-do the LEDs with white (or put the original bulbs back in; whichever looks best in the car).

Follow my blog:

4. Back To Top    #1054

I've had a couple friends ask me if I can speak to the any sonic differences in the system due to the Mcintosh amp. I cannot. Too much in the system has changed: I went from a digital out headunit tied to the helix pro with volume control tied directly to the amps to an analog headunit with DSP and volume control built in. Not to mention the cables have changed. So there's no apples to apples comparison for me to draw from to say that "the McIntosh is doing X, or Y".

But I can say that overall this iteration is better than it was in April so that makes me happy. The speakers haven't changed but the overall clarity of the system has improved and I am able to hear certain things with more definition than I had before like background voices in music. Actually, I heard a few things today I hadn't caught before in songs I've listened to literally hundreds of times. This could all be the placebo effect. If that is the case, I'm cool with it.

Follow my blog:

5. Back To Top    #1055
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    Took about 30 minutes with some T/A, levels and crossover and she's sittin' pretty. I'm just totally amazed at how well this system focuses without the need for any L/R EQing and no global EQ yet, either. It's by far the easiest system I've had to tune.
    I wish you had 30 minutes to work on my car.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #1056

Dude! Next Spring!

Follow my blog:

7. Back To Top    #1057
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    It's just for me.

I've used rear fill like this a few times over the years. IME 30ms delay is really the minimum in my car, otherwise it just gets lost in the noise. I've had to deal with the typical 15ms most of the time but I'll have the ability to get back to a longer delay with the combo of the p99 and JL DSP. But besides that, attenuating the level to match the time is just as important. YMMV of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Just for him, Chad
    Yeah, that's where you want about 20-25ms back adding the acoustic delay with electronic.. Yes it gets lost in the noise, it's supposed to. You don't really want to know it is there till it is gone.. It's so cool sitting right in front of delay speakers halfway back+ in a room that are actually running at a pretty decent volume and swearing that the image is coming from the mains and stage. Then when you shut them off the only thing that happens is that the level drops but the image remains focused on that stage. Psychoacoustics yo.

8. Back To Top    #1058

yea. it's definitely a fun thing to play with. the 30ms I'm talking about is considering the fact that you're delaying the front speakers... so if you have, say 3-5ms delay on the front and you only have 15ms available, then at best you're delaying the rears 10-12ms which isn't enough to create the effect for 'space'. if you want the 20-25ms acoustical delay then you naturally have to start with more than the 15ms most DSPs permit.

Follow my blog:

9. Back To Top    #1059

30ms is way too much. I've never delayed over 15 in a car. Just my opinion based on my ears . The great thing is changing it or experimenting cost nothing at this point with the rest fill. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #1060

Right. Experimentation yields different results. I've been using rear fill for a while and I've always found that my car does better when I have more than the basic 15ms delay. Even when I had the whole experiment set up in my garage using the Rockford q1000 to handle the Dolby PLII processing, the sound improved with delay reaching closer to Haas (30ms+). But like you said, it's easy enough to experiment with.

Follow my blog: