We don't talk about it

Re: Erin's 2006 Civic Sedan

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #1153
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    Yea. When you heard it I was running the JL 13tw5's. Before then I had the AE IBAU which is the auto version. Surprisingly, the HT version I have now work better in my car. Go figure.
    I think this was the version I heard before you went to the Illusion's in the kicks. The one where the bass was in the front of the car even when I stuck my head in the back seat. lol

Since my new car has a HUGE trunk (14 cu ft according to Mazda) compared to what I'm used to, I'm considering IB subs this time around.

You had said (back on page 3, lol) that the Q of the IBAU's wasn't where you wanted it, but that the HT's seem to work better in your trunk. I assume (haven't run any numbers yet) that you may have been able to get similar results with the AU's if you had a bigger (or smaller?) trunk.

Current (evolving) plan is looking like Illusion C3CX and C8W's up front and maybe some IBAU 15's. Amps are undecided, but considering Alpine PDX or Arc KS.

I guess, what I'm wondering is if I would choose either IBAU, IBHT, or maybe SPB's based mainly on Q when installed in the trunk, and it looks like I'd shoot for as close to .7 as possible?

Jay

4. Back To Top    #1154

The HT versions have a higher Qts where the AU and SBP (IIRC) have a lower Qts. Basically you're choosing between 0.7 or 0.5 qts, if memory serves. I'd have to look back at Vas again to see what the effect there will be but really anywhere between 0.5 and 0.7 is sufficient. Lower means you're going to need a subsonic filter to keep the rolloff in check (so it doesn't exceed excursion capabilities) and higher Qts would simply be encroaching an area where the sound will be more resonant and boomy.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

5. Back To Top    #1155
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Thanks, Erin. IIRC, generally .7 is consider "ideal" and .5 is "flattest."

I was running the numbers on an online website, and the enclosures were nowhere near what I expected. I'm going to find my PC laptop charger and try it on WinISD.

Edit: ran it through WinISD and 2 of the IB12AU's gets me a Qtc of .702

Jay
    Last edited by JayinMI; 04-16-2017 at 12:05 PM.

6. Back To Top    #1156

Been a couple weeks now and although I still know there are areas that need improvement those areas aren't driving me batty. That said, I did wind up replacing both tweeters because, as my ears suspected all weekend at the NCSQ meet, something was amiss with them. I thought it could have just been a left/right balance thing. After a few minutes in the car last week lining up pink noise by ear I found I had to attenuate everything by about 4dB relative to the left tweeter. So, yea... that doesn't pass the logic test. Thing is, that same tweeter was brand new as of 3 weeks ago.

I got out my Dayton DATs (another plug for an awesome tool in the bag) and ran a sweep on each tweeter. I don't have the results handy but trust me when I say something was terribly amiss about the left tweeter. I had a few other backups on hand so I swept those and they all matched what was expected and were pretty close to each other (nothing like Scanspeak's QC which is incredible, fwiw). So, naturally I replaced the left tweeter. I went ahead and replaced the right tweeter as well just for the heck of it, so the pair I have now are a much closer match. I re-leveled the other channels and got things back to a pretty happy medium. Good to go now.

With all that said, the past year or so I've been saying I wanted to get back in to BMX, at least a little bit. Some context for those who don't know: I rode BMX pretty seriously from about 14 up to 24 when I had to have back surgery. I have ridden once in the 10 years since then. But it's always been something I've loved. BMX for life, as they say. I've always been caught up in this car audio stuff and never had the mental free-time to go out and ride. But now that the car is *done* I'm back at it. I have been to the janky old skatepark I helped build about 12 years ago a couple times the past two weeks with my daughter and we have a blast. I went for a solo mission myself last night... just me, my bike and my headphones. Wrecked a couple times but I managed to get out of bed this morning without too much trouble.

Anyway, I'm really happy to be back out there rolling around and sharing the hobby with my daughter. Of course, I do some really long stretch periods a couple times a day now and I'm working out again but my old bones are still old bones but not too shabby for having been out of the game for the past 10 years. I posted a couple videos for you to make fun of or share excitement with (I'm sure the former will be the most likely route).

Last edited by erinh; 04-24-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Follow my blog:

7. Back To Top    #1157
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Better than I ever managed. It's all about knowing how to fall without killing yourself. lol
    Aren't you in your 30's? Funny to hear someone younger than me refer to themselves as old. lol

Jay

8. Back To Top    #1158

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    Better than I ever managed. It's all about knowing how to fall without killing yourself. lol
    Aren't you in your 30's? Funny to hear someone younger than me refer to themselves as old. lol

Jay

Yea... but falling is never graceful. Falling always makes you question everything you thought you knew about time and gravity. Time slows down and you have no freaking idea where you're going to land. lol

I'm 34.

Follow my blog:

9. Back To Top    #1159
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

That's what I thought. I'll be 44 this year. lol

Jay

10. Back To Top    #1160
    Real Name