Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay's 2012 Kia Rio5 Build log

1. Back To Top    #21
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: Jay's 2012 Kia Rio5 Build log

Not really. I used some of these speakers in my previous car. I based it a little on previous experience, a little on reviews, and the rest on aesthetics. I didn't want it to stick out too far. I aimed them at the headliner with a laser pointer. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, and I haven't played with the time alignment yet. I haven't wrapped the pillars yet, because if I need to make changes I can.

Nope, I didn't get hassled for the windshield, but I did have to strip the front 2 windows.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2009 Smart ForTwo

Jay, thanks for coming to World Finals! I really like your work. I look forward to seeing your progress and hearing your car someday!

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Thanks! Emjoyed meeting you and the rest of the WCA/NCSQ people.

Well, it's playing now. I need to spend some time on a serious tuning session, but it's working.

I was using switched power from the car to turn on the BitOne, but I ended up with a really bad turn off snap...so I switched to signal sensing, now I have a slight turn on and off thump. Need to work on that but that can come later.

I had a great time at Finals and getting to meet everyone. I hope to go again next year. Maybe I can even be there as a competitor...lol

Jay

4. Back To Top    #24
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Wow. It's been a little while. Not much of an update, but I picked up a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and a bunch of ancillary items to go with it. I don't have much use for the tablet outside the car, so I kind of bought it on a whim. The main reasons I picked this one were:

Size: The screen is slightly larger than an iPad mini, but the X:Y dimensions actually fit in my dash, where the iPad wouldn't have.
    Screen: Better resolution than the iPad Mini Retina
    Price: $250. Didn't care about 4G since I can hotspot off my phone if I need internet access.
    Storage: Accepts up to a 64G MicroSD card.
    USB OTG connectivity: Cheaper to interface and do what I want to with it.
    FLAC playback.

My ancillary items:

Anker 4.8A charger (two ports, either 2.4A ea, or 3A on one and is supposed to adjust charging based on demand)
    USB Buddy 3A DC-DC convertor. I bought this in case the charger doesn't work, and figured I could use it to power my Arduino if the Anker one works.
    OTG USB Y-cable
    Amazon Basics 4 port USB Hub
    Behringer UCA222
    MicroUSB extension

So, basically the Y cable plugs in to the tablet, one side plugs in to the hub, the other plugs in to the charger.
    Then I can plug the Behringer piece into the hub. The UCA gives me Optical output (and RCA out, if I choose to use it) as well as a volume-adjustable headphone output. Since I already ran the Optical cable to the BitOne, that is my plan.

My initial plan was to build a fiberglass pan similar to one of Soundman's side slider kits for the iPad mini. So, I made a couple molds, but didn't like how they were coming out.

So, I decided to switch it up and do it on the router. Problem is my router table was a piece of wood with some dry erase board over it that I made and put over a flimsy old garbage can.

I finally decided to make the jump to a real router table (with a lift and everything! lol) so *poof!* there went nearly $1000.
    Not sure if he's a member here but I got everything from Joey Cloninger (g0a on DIYMA). Amazing customer service if you're looking for 12v related tools. Especially router-related tools.

I had it all planned out, and routered out my templates (male and female) and then just need to shrink one end of the "kit" face to keep the tablet from falling out.

Then Soundman came out with this:

http://www.soundmanca.com/products/g...eap-slider-kit

Wouldn't work with mine, but it's like he read my mind. One of the installers that covers my day off linked it to me because he was like "That's exactly what Jay's doing!" LOL

Mine will work the same way. But I want to put a little flare to it, so I'm going to pic up more bits from Joey and try to use a vertical 3d routering technique to match the contour of my dash bezel and bevel the edge going in toward the tablet.

Now I just need to make room in the garage to USE my new router table, and I can move on.

I haven't decided yet, but I may also use one of the Sony App Remote HU's, because it will allow me to retain AM/FM/XM as well as BT handsfree calling, CD playback and steering wheel controls (everything except volume, which will be go through my Arduino piece to adjust volume from the steering wheel controls directly on the BitOne. Mostly worked that out but really just need to sit down and finish programming it.

And since I need it mostly done (in one form or another) before the end of April, I'm in search of motivation. lol
    After installing Remote Starters all day in a wet, cold garage, it's touch to work on my own stuff when I get home.

Jay

5. Back To Top    #25

Get that shit right jay! I'll be looking forward to hearing it at the meet!

6. Back To Top    #26
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Even if I manage to make no physical changes to it before then. It WILL have sound this time. lol

I'm also trying to track down some random CD's or FLAC files to put together a demo disc/playlist on the tablet.
    Yes, I learned my lesson and plan to bring my own listening material, as well as some blank CD-R's and my laptop(s).

Jay

7. Back To Top    #27
    Vehicle
    2004 Kia Sorento

I'm also trying to source some solid Flac or CDs to make my own demo cd. What is a good software to use to cut the tracks like most do to fit more demo size tracks?

8. Back To Top    #28
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rain View Post
    I'm also trying to source some solid Flac or CDs to make my own demo cd. What is a good software to use to cut the tracks like most do to fit more demo size tracks?
    Good question. I'm a Mac user, so it's kinda a pain to find anything that lets me rip FLAC files on here. But I have a Windows Netbook, so I was hoping it might be something I could do in Windows Media Player. If not, I'll look into it once I narrow down the tracks I want to include.

Right now, I know there'll be some Metallica, Michael Jackson, Great White, Janet Jackson and probably some Brother Dege (heard it in Strakele's car a while ago and remembered liking it alot), and I have pics of a few HU screens from finals with tracks I like.

Jay

9. Back To Top    #29

These are the converters I use for various file format conversions:

For MAC, XLD.
    For Windows, dBPowerAmp.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    These are the converters I use for various file format conversions:

For MAC, XLD.
    For Windows, dBPowerAmp.
    I looked at XLD, but for some reason didn't pull the trigger on the download. I can't remember why.

Jay