Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Honda Fit

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

2013 Honda Fit

well, it's about that time. the past few weeks/months i've been slowly acquiring a plan as well as gear for a simple budget build for the fit, which will hopefully provide some good output and meet or exceed the sound quality of my previous car, which never got a build log. being my first build, it's pretty safe to say that car never sounded all that great, or even really good, and was riddled with door rattles. i will be going to great lengths this time around to prevent any rattles that may occur, and it's my hope that this car will also be a much more stealthy build, with better craftsmanship all around. the build will be done with some help from daniel (chithead).

so, the gear list:

pioneer avic-5000nex source
    ppi ion 640.5
    sundown e8v3 d4, will be ported in about .56 cubic feet tuned to about 35 hz.
    hat imagines in the front, may add the mirus set to the rear at some point, unless i switch the front speakers up, in which case the imagines will find themselves a home in the rear. these were recycled from my old car, and i put the massive audio ck6's back in that car, which is now my girlfriend's.

daniel and myself got a bit of work done day before yesterday and things turned out very nice to start out with. we got the driver side door deadened and sealed up nicely, test fit the midbass, re-routed the head unit usb to the permanent location, and perhaps most importantly and most difficultly, got the amp mounted under the seat. for those who don't know, the fit's gas tank is up under the front seats in order to make room under the rear seats so that they can do all their neat folding wizardry. this causes a few things: firstly, it makes it feel like a small SUV. secondly, it means there is essentially 0 space under the front seats for anything. in order to get it mounted, it had to be placed near the rear of the seat, as there's a metal bracket in roughly the middle of the seat rails that runs all the way across, which decreases mounting height availability. in front of that bracket, the height tapers off and there's no way to fit the amp. daniel had an excellent idea in order to deal with all of these restrictions, and he created an excellent mounting solution that bolts to the metal bracket running between the seat rails and avoids problems with the floor mat. pictures will come tomorrow

this week, the enclosure will be built most likely (once again, thanks to daniel, such a gentleman ) as he offered to do it in his spare time since our schedules don't align very well. the goal is to have this all ready for listening at the NC meet on nov 8th, and with next weekend being halloween, we're going to be struggling to make it happen.

for now, a couple pictures showing the amp and sub:

amp with a ps3 controller on top for size comparison

front of sub

she's got a fat ole ass, too!

hopefully will have more to come in the coming week or two!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2013 Honda Fit

Hot damn....build log started! That sure is a tiny amp ya got there, looking forward to the progress......

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Mmmm mmmmmm... just something about a little subwoofer with a big ole ass...

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Ok.....I'm ready for a demo.....need to get the Fit Done!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

you going to sink that into the well or spare tire?

I have an 04 Si hatch, wondering if it has a similar layout, I can put some pics up of mine, it is very utilitarian and I have all of mt hatch footprint for cargo.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I'm curious to see how the 5000NEX turns out. I'm a Pioneer HU fan, but I hate my AppRadio3

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Vet View Post
    Ok.....I'm ready for a demo.....need to get the Fit Done!
    hoping to have it done by meet time!

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    you going to sink that into the well or spare tire?

I have an 04 Si hatch, wondering if it has a similar layout, I can put some pics up of mine, it is very utilitarian and I have all of mt hatch footprint for cargo.
    i haven't taken too much of a peek down in there, but my initial thoughts weren't too positive for anything more than a couple inches deep to fit in there, especially given that i'd like to keep the spare. there's a pocket on the upper right passenger side of the hatch area which would allow me to sink a magnet back in there for mounting depth, which might be the route i choose if i do end up fiberglassing a box - but for now, sticking to a simple MDF box to check out the sub. neither me nor daniel have fiberglassing experience yet either, adding to the fun i'll post some pictures of the hatch area and spare tire well an an hour or two. it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was very similar to the '04 civic hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I'm curious to see how the 5000NEX turns out. I'm a Pioneer HU fan, but I hate my AppRadio3
    this is the oldest part of the build actually - i've had the 5000nex installed for a couple months now. on the 2nd it was updated with carplay and it received another update to fix some bugs yesterday. so far, i really like the head unit; it's quick, has great features, the GPS is actually really solid and the maps display is really nice, and car play is a neat feature. yesterday spotify, iOS and the radio all got an update and between the 3 it seems that all the major issues with it have been ironed out, which is nice. the spotify integration is excellent which was the biggest problem before, and now it works flawlessly.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

here are some pictures as promised!

the passenger side seat with the amp underneath, showing what you'd see with seat in normal position.

the driver side seat for reference, the floor mat barely visibly sits flatter up by the seat but hardly noticeable.

this is the visible bit of the "rack" if you pull the floor mat back. plastidipped the aluminum black, it probably needed a few more coats but i'm not worried about it - the black is just to prevent flashes from reflections on the sides. the floor mat has messed up the finish of the plastidip a bit, though.

move the seat forward and this is what you see with the floor mat still in place. unfortunately i knocked it crooked before i took the picture and didn't notice, oh well

a better shot of the amp on there. the amp uses harnesses for the rca connectors, and that's what you're seeing on the left side. also, you can see the two mounting points of the amp rack where it bolts to the seat support bracket between the seat rails.

that's all i've got for the amp rack as of now.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

in response to chad, here's some shots of the hatch area:

this shows the pocket where the sub motor could reside, if that's the route i take for the final sub placement. the only downside to this is, if you notice the brackets where the seats latch, you'll see it extends back - the rear seats recline in the fit and i'd like to keep that functionality, but it may not work out with that design. also, the bottom half-wall thingy in that pocket looks like it's removeable, and it will have to go to get the magnet to fit if it'll even fit without it, haven't taken any measurements yet.

overall view of the hatch area, pardon the dirty cargo mat

view of the spare tire area, i could potentially glass an enclosure and probably even use the spare's mounting bolt to hold the enclosure in, but i'd be limited on depth and it'd be rough to do a ported enclosure. may be an option if i upgrade to the sundown sd-2 8's in the future, maybe i could fit a pair of them down there...

and that's all for now. didn't take any photos of deadening the doors, not that any of you care anyway

with that, i'll leave you all with a picture of the car from my apartment complex, with my crazy girlfriend that wouldn't move out of the picture:

10. Back To Top    #10

This is going to be sweet. That amp is ridiculous! I almost got a 1g Fit a few years ago, great cars. If you guys need an extra set of hands just lmk Chris.