Thread: Come on down

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Come on down

How long is a concealed weapons permit good for?

The State of Alabama issues permits for one to five years. Citizens can choose the length of time they want it to be valid, and pay the appropriate fee.

§13A-11-75. …shall issue or renew a qualified or unlimited license permit to for such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his or her person within this state for not more than one year one to five year increments, as requested by the person seeking the permit…

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

One of the biggest concerns he has, Oneonta Police Chief James Chapman said, are those who promote open carry, rather than having the handguns concealed. "Although it's legal in Alabama I don't think it's the smartest thing," Chapman said. "It eliminates the element of surprise. If I'm a bad guy the first person I'm going to shoot is the person who is carrying the gun."

said if there is a home invasion in the county, the sheriff's office will see an increase in gun permit applications. Also, while they didn't do it before, his department sends out gun permit renewal notices, he said.

The state prisons in Elmore County also could be prompting some residents to get permits, Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin said. "I can't tell you how many times a person has walked off a prison work program ... We wind up going through people's back yards and land looking for them," he said.

Places to avoid in Ala.

Mobile County's Wilmer community when three people accosted him.

... as he drove down a rural dirt road eight years ago near Camden.

Higher crime rates in neighboring Montgomery also could be a factor.

... main reason he carries is because he travels to Jefferson County to work each day.

"Birmingham, in general, is more dangerous"

There are high-crime counties that also have high rates of pistol permits. Take Etowah County.
    It ranked sixth in Alabama in 2013, with 4,825 serious crimes per 100,000 residents.
    Yet Etowah is also 14th for concealed carry, with 15 percent of adults licensed to carry.

On the other hand, Dallas County has the second-highest crime rate in the state –
    5,743.56 serious crimes per 100,000 residents –
    but ranks in the bottom 15 in pistol permits with just 11 percent of adults licensed to carry.

Always room for abuse of authority
    Washington County Sheriff Richard Stringer turning down his application to renew a conceal-carry permit. But it's my privilege to deny you a pistol permit. "You've not ever supported me. And you've fought me," Stringer said on the tape.
    For instance, some state laws dictate that authorities "shall issue" a permit to anyone legally able to possess a firearm. Alabama joined that group last year. A handful of states do not even require permits to carry concealed guns.

Lott pointed out that Illinois, which recently became the last state to allow people to carry concealed guns, charges $150 for a license and requires 16 hours of training.
    Based on this report, the crime rate in Illinois for 2014 is expected to be lower than in 2010 when the state violent crime rate was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 62.71% and the state property crime rate was higher than the national property crime rate average by 23.37%.
    http://www.cityrating.com/crime-stat.../#.VBiIv1efU1A
    Last edited by Hic; 09-16-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]