Thread: Kenwood DNX891HD Review

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

Kenwood DNX891HD Review

As we all know, I usually hate everything, but not this time. I love the Kenwood DNX891HD and with the iDatalink Maestro, the only thing I lost was the compass display in my center MFD.

First off, it supports FLAC through USB, and at a very high bitrate! I should have my 128 GB flash drive tomorrow, so I guess I will test out the limitations of it. Now there is one slight peeve about using FLAC through USB, it does a fade in whenever I switch songs. Granted, that is not as big of a deal as stock VW HU that would only play compressed files and would chop off the first three seconds of every track you selected. Oh, then there was the random slow downs and lock-ups on the VW RNS-315 that made it unbearable.

I added the SiriusXM module even though quality is spotty. On the bright side, I was able to retain my stock Sharkfin for SiriusXM and NAV thanks to Enfig:

As for why I went with the SiriusXM module... Every now and again I like to listen to it to see if there are any artists that I forgot about or that I should be paying attention to. It's a long shot, but every now and again I'll discover an artist that I like to listen to.

I'm kind of disappointed that Apple killed the click wheel iPod. If I had known they were going to do that, I would have purchased a replacement for my Gen6 that is having issues. I'm happy to report that the Kenwood works flawless with my iPhone and I'll eventually find something to replace the iPod with.

This HU has Garmin for its navigation software. It's Garmin, it works, and it shows arrows and what not in my MFD thanks to the iDatalink Maestro.

I have yet to pop a DVD in or play an AVI file. Also, the iPhone mirroring is more of a gimmick than a functional "must have". It's negated by the fact that the HU limits your video when in motion. Sure, I could bypass the parking brake, but the last thing I want is someone to say I was watching video while driving and not be able to disable it if pulled over. I may get creative with a switch and a diode or something along those lines...

So there you have it, I found a double-DIN that I do not hate!
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Re: Kenwood DNX891HD Review

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris B
    Vehicle
    2019 Japanese 4dr Mustang

Oh and another plus, there is a setting to turn that fucking annoying ass beep OFF! Another plus for Kenwood in my book!
    2019 WRX Limited - Stock HK for now while waiting on parts to be developed...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

He likes it! Hey, Mikey!

Congrats on finding a piece of gear you like, Chris.