Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 Yukon XL Metal Fab Center Console Build

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: 07 Yukon XL Metal Fab Center Console Build

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    What size/impedance is the stock sub? I'm curious because the one in the GF's Avalanche will see a good bit more than rated power in the near future. And
    It appears this is a dual voice coil 5.5 inch woofer.

Both sets of pins measure 2.3 ohms...go figure...a dual voice coil 5.5 inch woofer. I seem to remember reading that on a chev forum a while back as well.

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    That looks like a nice platform to work from. Have you ever worked with fiberglass? I was thinking that you could glass an enclosure on the inside of the console shell.
    I initially thought that fiberglass would be the only way, but after committing to removing the cubbie in the console, I figured why spend the extra money on fiberglass when a half sheet of mdf is 12 bucks...might as well try this way first...

3. Back To Top    #13
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

I guess that would make it a dual 3 ohm sub. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the rest of the build.

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    I guess that would make it a dual 3 ohm sub. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see the rest of the build.
    I can't wait to see the rest of the build too!!!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Rich
    Vehicle
    2014 Honda Accord Sport

cool project. center console builds are time consuming but worth it in the end.
    I make stuff

6. Back To Top    #16

So I am getting a quote on some plexy top for my sub box, HDPE for baffles and plexy to mount the miniDSP from a local plastics supplier. Is there any experience out there regarding the impact on sq when using a plexy cover on the box? From what I have read, there is varying responses on whether lining the box with poly and or fiberglass insulation makes the sub think the box is "bigger". I don't want to hinder the best performance of the box by putting a plexy top on it, just so I can see the back of the woofer when I want to, but I want to be convinced performance will not be impacted. Also, can't decide whether I want to ~triple the cost of my $25 sub box just to have a plexy top...feedback?

7. Back To Top    #17

Real Name
    Glenn (GLN305)
    Vehicle
    1996 Dodge Dakota Reg Cab

Quote Originally Posted by mike_mn View Post
    So I am getting a quote on some plexy top for my sub box, HDPE for baffles and plexy to mount the miniDSP from a local plastics supplier. Is there any experience out there regarding the impact on sq when using a plexy cover on the box? From what I have read, there is varying responses on whether lining the box with poly and or fiberglass insulation makes the sub think the box is "bigger". I don't want to hinder the best performance of the box by putting a plexy top on it, just so I can see the back of the woofer when I want to, but I want to be convinced performance will not be impacted. Also, can't decide whether I want to ~triple the cost of my $25 sub box just to have a plexy top...feedback?
    As long as you use appropriate thickness for the Plexiglas (3/4''), then it is actually a better material than the MDF, so no worries on sound. Plexiglas just isn't used for entire enclosure due to cost normally. As far as box stuffing, if you are building it to the appropriate size, then stuffing (lining) will not matter. Now if you are a bit on the small side volume-wise, it will help. If you want prices that are normally better than local, check Amazon for HDPE and acrylic (Plexiglas)
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein

8. Back To Top    #18

This is inspiring since I'm really considering doing the same thing in my 07 tundra!!!!

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    As long as you use appropriate thickness for the Plexiglas (3/4''), then it is actually a better material than the MDF, so no worries on sound. Plexiglas just isn't used for entire enclosure due to cost normally. As far as box stuffing, if you are building it to the appropriate size, then stuffing (lining) will not matter. Now if you are a bit on the small side volume-wise, it will help. If you want prices that are normally better than local, check Amazon for HDPE and acrylic (Plexiglas)
    Thanks. I haven't found hdpe or acrylic online at better pricing yet. No shipping charges, they are about 10 minutes away for pickup.
    0.75 x 24in x 24in HDPE black is ~$56
    12.5x9.5x0.75 finish cut acrylic ~ $35

10. Back To Top    #20

Week 9 - this is where the build starts slowing down rapidly...
    July 20-22 biz trip...
    July 23-24 recieved the little fuse holder and fuse and step bits and picked up 6 sheets(18sq ft) of cascade audio vmax CLD and sound silencer samples for back wave control behind anarchys.

July 26 - 3 hours - installed fuse holder and power wire through firewall. Picked up a grommet from hardware store for 0.43 didn't have my plumbers torch so couldn't solder the copper lug on the power wire.
    It started out looking like this

I bought the same thing and cut off the mounting holes and the 2 holders slip fit together like a puzzle. It worked pretty slick. I will need to double up on the 2awg on the input to insure there is a safety factor, even though the single 2awg would probably be fine.

Pondering and Building time to Date 44 Hours
    Total Gear Spend to Date $1710.75

Week 10-11
    July 27 - 3 hours - pulled door panel and built a template for the door speaker baffle.

July 30 - 2 hours - pulled speaker wire into doors and tweeter area. Realized I need to buy some zip ties and get a terminal strip for my speakers.
    Pondering and Building time to Date 49 Hours

Week 11 - August 2-9 vacation

Week 12
    Aug 10-13 - built bookshelves for my wife. Purchased riv nuts and installer for $19
    Aug 15 - got replacement screw from manufacturer and fixed the vice again.
    Tool Spend to Date $53.75

Week 13
    Aug 19 - 2 hours - working on console skeleton
    Pondering and Building time to Date 51 Hours

Week 17 after a 4 week break with some vacation and business trips in the middle...
    Sept 16 - picked up some 0.75 inch hdpe and a piece of acrylic to mount the DSP boards to for $70.25

3 hours - worked on amp rack and DSP mount. Pretty pissed off that I cracked the acrylic on one of the mounting holes. I don't have a 4-40 tap so I was trying to tap the hole with a circuit board standoff and it broke in the hole. I chipped the acrylic getting the piece out. I will prolly try to fix it with epoxy or something, worst case I get another piece since it only cost 9 bucks.

I think the corner joint is looking pretty good so far considering it is being done with a hack saw file and sandpaper.

Here is the mock up with the acrylic threaded and mounted.

Tool Spend to Date $53.75
    Total Gear Spend to Date $1781.00
    Pondering and Building time to Date 54 Hours

Hopefully now that I have the hdpe and acrylic things will start moving again...not that there wasn't other stuff I could have been doing for the last number of weeks...