Thread: A primer on Linkwitz-Riley crossovers

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

A primer on Linkwitz-Riley crossovers

This was posted in another thread by keep_hope_alive and I thought it might be useful

http://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/Li...ers_Primer.pdf

Linkwitz_Riley_Crossovers_Primer.pdf

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A primer on Linkwitz-Riley crossovers

Something I've always wondered - is the "perfect" output of the linkwitz riley just due to the fact that the phase at/around the crossover point sums evenly?

As in, as long as you did the correct phase compensation (digitally, of course), any filter would also be able to have a 'perfect' output lobing?

And also that, speakers which are are coaxial are not affected (as badly) in this manner, as their sound sources exist at exactly the same point? As in, they would have different lobings, but the main lobe would always point straight out?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: A primer on Linkwitz-Riley crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by viewcart View Post
    Something I've always wondered - is the "perfect" output of the linkwitz riley just due to the fact that the phase at/around the crossover point sums evenly?

As in, as long as you did the correct phase compensation (digitally, of course), any filter would also be able to have a 'perfect' output lobing?

And also that, speakers which are are coaxial are not affected (as badly) in this manner, as their sound sources exist at exactly the same point? As in, they would have different lobings, but the main lobe would always point straight out?
    This should explain it for you.
    https://www.ranecommercial.com/legac...ers_Primer.pdf