Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone based audio output low

1. Back To Top    #1

Phone based audio output low

I used a USB drive to play test tones to set amp gain with dmm. When I set to target voltage, output from phone using Spotify or Pandora seems significantly lower than output from radio or Sirius XM, and, I'm assuming, usb. Is this common and, if so, what do you experts do to workaround the issue?

I have gone into settings for apps mentioned and changed settings to maximal loudness but didn't help much. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Phone based audio output low

The head-unit in my 2018 Dodge Challenger is the same way - audio via AndroidAuto is significantly lower than other sources (FM, XM and USB). However, I still have enough volume, so I haven't really worried about it - just have to turn it up louder when listening to AndroidAuto sources.

I suppose you could play your test tones via an AndroidAuto music app and set the gains that way - you'd just have to be careful that you didn't turn the volume up too high when playing other sources.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

How exactly are you connecting your phone? BT or analog cable?

I don't know what HU you are using, but just about any aftermarket should have a leveling source feature in the audio settings. So you can boost the output of the phone source to match up with your others. Spotify and Pandora are also some of the crappiest sources

4. Back To Top    #4

I know you are asking the OP, but just FYI, in my case, I'm connecting using a USB cable - using Android Auto. You can't replace the stock head-unit in a newer Challenger - the touch screen interface is used for many car functions that can't be done otherwise, such as HVAC controls, etc, and there is no way to level sources via the head-unit. I believe the AndroidAuto connection is digital, so even the few "global" EQ's available for Android (such as Viper4Android) have no effect on the sound whatsoever. In this case, I think the only option would be to play the tones from an AndroidAuto music player to set gains - and be careful with the head-unit volume control on other sources.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies.

The HU is the factory HU in a 2016 F-150 which, like the Challenger, would be VERY difficult to replace and has no source leveling.

I am also using USB connection for AndroidAuto.

I was hopeful more experienced car audio folks might have a workaround short of playing the test tones via AndroidAuto since I have teenagers that like to crank their music and I fear they would destroy my sub.

Sounds like what I'm hearing is there is no workaround.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Herbally View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The HU is the factory HU in a 2016 F-150 which, like the Challenger, would be VERY difficult to replace and has no source leveling.

I am also using USB connection for AndroidAuto.

I was hopeful more experienced car audio folks might have a workaround short of playing the test tones via AndroidAuto since I have teenagers that like to crank their music and I fear they would destroy my sub.

Sounds like what I'm hearing is there is no workaround.

Ford has a feature you can set specific to the vehicle key that can be set to limit the factory head unit volume so those pesky teenagers can’t crank it up past whatever volume you set it at. My base 2014 F 150 with Sync has this feature. It can also limit vehicle speed too. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27053080/n...-teen-driving/
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

I've seen a few music apps that have a volume leveling feature enabled by default, and you wouldn't know it was there if you didn't look for it. Some phones with those apps seem to play much quieter than they should until you find that setting and disable it.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

8. Back To Top    #8

The SM-N960U looks like a Note 9. Maybe ask that volume/level question in the xda forum (phone people). Someone might say enable the developer mode and change something in there (may or may not help, then followed by more questions for the xda folks there).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    I've seen a few music apps that have a volume leveling feature enabled by default, and you wouldn't know it was there if you didn't look for it. Some phones with those apps seem to play much quieter than they should until you find that setting and disable it.
    Yeah, I've messed with those settings, but no help really. The AndroidAuto output level is just significantly lower than other sources for whatever reason... Just like in my car, XM is significantly louder than other sources. Every source seems to have different levels. It's really only a problem if you don't have enough amp power, but it still annoys me nonetheless. :-)

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

The f150 (if 8" touch screen) just got a new idatalink device. MFT1 is the product and you can replace it quite easily with that kit and the idatalink maestro rr. Not the cheapest thing, but definitely not hard anymore.

On another note.
    I know spotify calls it Audio Normalization
    The iphone Music app calls it sound check
    Turn those off. They "level" every song and the dynamic range to be equal for every song.

I turned off both of them and now my spotify music is as loud as everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbDqYoWkfac
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods