Thread: JBL GTO501EZ issue.

1. Back To Top    #1

JBL GTO501EZ issue.

So, I installed one of these in my neighbors daughters 2010 Camry. It is utilizing the factory HU so no remote wire is available. However, this amp has a signal sensing switch that senses the speaker level input. Got it all hooked up and it works great. UNTIL....... you shut it off. The amp does not power down and throws a huge bass feedback through the sub. And when I say shut off, I mean stereo, car, everything. It will shut off if I switch the auto sensing switch off. But then the amp wont turn on. So, I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this and can point me in the right direction. I can wire a remote, toggle switch, or relay to turn it on. But Id rather not to keep it simple for her and myself. After all... this is a teenage girl. I am hoping that someone has input to anything I may have overlooked.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

Re: JBL GTO501EZ issue.

possibly in the gain settings in the amp. just as a guess. may be able to change which one of the switch settings its at and adjust the dial gain accordingly afterwards

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Rich

Does it never power off after the car is shut off?

This is from the owner's manual: "The amplifier will automatically turn off
    approximately five minutes after the input signal ceases."

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    Does it never power off after the car is shut off?

This is from the owner's manual: "The amplifier will automatically turn off
    approximately five minutes after the input signal ceases."
    Well thats good info. But the 5 min of 130+ db of pure bass while waiting that 5 min wont make her popular in the neighborhood.
    Im going to try and set the gain lower and try that.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Why not just hook the remote lead up to an ignition source? It wouldn't turn off with the radio, but it would turn off with the car.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    Why not just hook the remote lead up to an ignition source? It wouldn't turn off with the radio, but it would turn off with the car.
    Thats the plan Al. I just wanted to pick your brains to see if there was anything else I was missing before I went that route. I read the instructions/troubleshooting part of the guide but, missed what Salami posted.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by weshole View Post
    Well thats good info. But the 5 min of 130+ db of pure bass while waiting that 5 min wont make her popular in the neighborhood.
    Im going to try and set the gain lower and try that.
    I don't know what to say about the loud noise after the head unit is turned off. Seems odd and some thing weird is going on.

With my Accord, stock head unit and Rockford 360.3 I am using the speaker level inputs. As long as the key is in the accessory or run position my 360.3 is sensing some thing from the stock head unit and turns on and stays on until the key is turned to off whether the head unit is powered up or not. Because of this the amps are always on with the 360.3.

You could have something similar going on the amp keeping it on and it is picking up some noise some how and amplifying it.

8. Back To Top    #8

The gain may be set too high. (about half) and as a result, The amp may be picking up something. I did notice that with the car shut off, it picked up closing the doors. I believe that is because the rear speakers I wired into move just enough to send a signal to the amp. Its that sensitive. I cant test it right now because she is gone for a few days. I may just call Joe Walters and ask him directly. He has been a help in the past.

9. Back To Top    #9

As far as I know the signal sensing circuit only looks for a signal in the RCA's. Unplug the RCA's at the amp and see A) if the amp stays on after the the car is off and if B) you still have feedback. This should narrow your problem down some.
    The fact that you're getting that much feedback tells me something is wrong and it should be addressed one way or the other.

Damn my bad I didn't realize how old this was.