Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 01 IS300 build

1. Back To Top    #1

01 IS300 build

Well this is my very first official build log. I usually dont document much of the installs I do but I figured Id try to this time around. Anyway, on to the system I am installing.
    First is the H/U. Its a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. Ive had this for nearly 2 years now and I am very pleased with the performance and ui of this. It is already installed in the car now but will be removed to hook up the rca's and remote wire to run to the amps.
    Pic

Next is the front stage. I have a set of Zapco Reference/ESB Blue note components minus the woofers (one blown and no longer available without shipping direct from Italy) in which I am replacing with Silver Flute 6.5" woofers. I ordered an exta pair of sail panels that I will mold the tweeters into to keep the factory look. It is not the best for the ultimate imaging I know, But I am going to sacrifice this in the name of keeping it simple. Besides, I dont compete anyway and 99% of the people that sit in my car wont notice anyway.

Stock pic of comps as I dont have a pic of mine

Next is the sub stage. Im running a pair of Massive Audio Hippo 8". I had these in my prior vehicle and they did phenomenally well. Did a 141 in the trunk on music. And these are surprisingly musical at most all volumes.

Here is the box being used for the subs. Its one of SMS's masterpieces. This is in the process of being finished as I type this. Its been stained and painted. In 24 hours or so, the polyurethane gets laid on.

Next is the amps. I did not skimp on these as I truly believe in investing once and not questioning my purchase. The front and rear stage is powered by a Zapco Z150.4 and the Subs by a Zapco Z2KD. The sub amp was also carried over from the previous install and makes these subs do work.

The rear stage is still being decided on. Im pretty sure Im going with ARC Audio ARC692. I will update as I decide and or order.
    The Batteries are going to be a Kinetic HC1800 in the rear along with whatever I decide for the front. Looking at a Deka AGM to put in there. At least one run of 1/0 power wire will be ran to the rear and possibly 2. Im also doing the big 3 under the hood for redundancy purposes. Id be further along if I didnt live in the frozen tundra. As temps allow, I will be working and posting pics of the progress.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 01 IS300 build

The tweeters I had and was planning on using were just too big in diameter to work how I wanted to (fit inside the sail panels for a stealthy install) so, they were put back in storage for a future project. I replaced them with a set of Massive Audio RK6 components. I have used this in a prior install with great success so, I picked up another set.
    Here is some pics of the woofer.

Its a very stout woofer and has great response and power handling.

Now to the tweeters. As I stated before, ultimate imaging was not my primary concern. But stealthiness was. So I decided to modify the extra set of sail panels to accommodate the massive tweeters. All I really had to do was trim the lower portion of the panel behind the grill to unshroud the tweeter and allow my to position it right behind said grill and glue it into place.

Here it sits prior to removing the blockage.

And fitted (did not take a pic of the sail panel with the piece removed (oops)

I will take a pic of what I removed when I modify the other side. I also plan on putting some sort of foam around the edge of the tweeter housing to help in eliminating any weird noise that could result from the tweeter placement.
    Last edited by weshole; 03-29-2014 at 08:17 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh ya how could I forget? I sold the 8400 and picked up a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX. Talk about a step in the right direction. I like where Pioneer is going with these new head units. 13 band eq, time alignment, adjustable xover slopes, etc. Plus the UI is improved along with a bunch of smart phone interface upgrades. Oh and its even more cosmetically customizable as well.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Interesting... I'll have to check out the head unit for a future build.

Very nice setup so far!

5. Back To Top    #5

Got in the 50's today so I figured I'd trial fit the box and see how my initial measurements went. Turned out just how I planned. (phew)
    Here it is with some wood to see what height was needed.

I had 2 options of how I was going to elevate the box to clear the hump. Either build a platform in which to set the box on which was going to be quite a chore based on the height of the box I designed or use furniture legs and mounts to set it on. I chose the legs as it will be easy to take the box in an out of the trunk should I see the need to and it was obviously an easier feat to accomplish (although, it doesnt look as aesthetically appealing).

The feet cut from the legs.

Mounted on the box.

In the trunk.

It comes out just were I planned it. So i removed the feet and stained them. When it dries, I will put a few coats of polyurethane on them. I will probably fabricate a false panel to cover it up with to clean it up a bit.

Last edited by weshole; 03-30-2014 at 10:02 PM.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

I would love to hear those Massive comps, been looking at there stuff for a while and wonder how it fairs for critical listening.

7. Back To Top    #7

In all honesty, they are a lil bright on the high end but nothing I am not able to blend out. Id rather bright then dull and lifeless. They are easily a great comp at the price point.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by weshole View Post
    In all honesty, they are a lil bright on the high end but nothing I am not able to blend out. Id rather bright then dull and lifeless. They are easily a great comp at the price point.
    I agree, with bright you can usually smooth them out. Muddy is just unsavable for the most part.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well done! How is the box secured in the trunk?
    Nick

10. Back To Top    #10

It isnt yet. But, by the time its fully installed, I will come up with something.