Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Court martialed for sharing your faith?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Court martialed for sharing your faith?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...hristian-Faith

The Pentagon has released a statement confirming that soldiers could be prosecuted for promoting their faith: "Religious proselytization is not permitted within the Department of Defense...Court martials and non-judicial punishments are decided on a case-by-case basis...”.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Court martialed for sharing your faith?

and you didn't see it coming .... ? Funny that the "tolerance" crowd is actually the least tolerant.

3. Back To Top    #3

What's the point here? I'm sure the US military isn't a religious organization...

4. Back To Top    #4

The atheists/non-religious have taken over our country and now DEMAND that all references to God be removed.

5. Back To Top    #5

umm, wasn't one of the big ideas of the US seperation of church and State?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    umm, wasn't one of the big ideas of the US seperation of church and State?
    Nope! The first amendment says that the US government cannot establish a national religion and force everybody to follow it, as was happening in England at the time. Nor can the government prohibit the free exercise of religious pursuits. The whole "separation of church and state" came from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to Danbury Baptist Association in 1802.

To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.
    Gentlemen
    The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.
    Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.
    I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.
    Th Jefferson
    Jan. 1. 1802.
    The separation is to protect the church from the government...not the government from the church

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't you have chaplains in the US forces?

Proselytising has no place in the military, given the propensity for "good men of faith" to threaten to kill me online over a disagreement over faith I'd think doing it face to face with military hardware all around would be a little fool hardy!

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
    Don't you have chaplains in the US forces?
    For now...

Proselytising has no place in the military, given the propensity for "good men of faith" to threaten to kill me online over a disagreement over faith I'd think doing it face to face with military hardware all around would be a little fool hardy!
    WTF threatened to kill you?

Professing one's faith hasn't seem to have been a problem for the past 200 years...what changed?

9. Back To Top    #9

As I have said, most christians are not very good at it (being christian) and understand VERY little about their own faith.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    WTF threatened to kill you?
    A few nut jobs, nothing I'd ever worry about, all mouth and no trousers...Mind you, had the same for asking people to leave the shop, refusing to replace customer-damaged items under warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    Professing one's faith hasn't seem to have been a problem for the past 200 years...what changed?
    Depends on where in the world you are, I used to work in the only "white owned" business in a Muslim area, should have seen some of those guys whooping on 9/11 - these were 2nd/3rd generation immigrants, not freshies from Afghanistan/Pakistan .

TBH with some of the ear-bendings I've had off the righteous it'd be me reaching for the hardware...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    As I have said, most christians are not very good at it (being christian) and understand VERY little about their own faith.
    Oh, it's not just Christians, I've endured some real BS from religious customers over the years, the ignorance of what was being spouted at me was astonishing and had it been my business I'd have asked them to leave.

I respect everyone's right to faith, I just get pissed when they believe that gives them the right to infringe on my lifestyle/time/feelings/thoughts.