Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Installation Hall of Shame

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: The Hall of Shame

Shame he died, you're no asshole-the truth can't hurt him now!

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

I heard they buried him in one of his speaker boxes

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Trevor
    Vehicle
    2013 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
    I recall seeing this on DIYMA...reminds me of a custom Focus I had in once, boot build done by Stevie Wonder, equipment so cheap and nasty anyone with a sould wouldn't have charged to install it
    For sure, I wish I had pictures of the monstrosity that was my first build. I tried to make an amp rack to fit over a box with two down firing JL W3 15s in a chevy S10 when I was 18 years old. All the cutouts in the amp rack weren't straight and I tried to cover it in vinyl... you could see the wood underneath at all the corners and I pretty much did the ends like you would wrap a christmas present, just folded it over and taped it to secure.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
    I pretty much did the ends like you would wrap a christmas present, just folded it over and taped it to secure.
    Isn't that how it's supposed to be done?

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
    For sure, I wish I had pictures of the monstrosity that was my first build. I tried to make an amp rack to fit over a box with two down firing JL W3 15s in a chevy S10 when I was 18 years old. All the cutouts in the amp rack weren't straight and I tried to cover it in vinyl... you could see the wood underneath at all the corners and I pretty much did the ends like you would wrap a christmas present, just folded it over and taped it to secure.
    My 1st install wasn't much better-1972 VW Camper Van, took the rear, overhead, cupboard out and installed 2 sets of Fury 3-way comps, 8", sealed back 5.25" + tweeter. Partitioned the box and used sand to separate the L/R sides. Made MDF "pods" for the 5.25" and tweeters for the front doors, conveniently positioned so you smacked your knee on them every time you got in or out and cut said knee on the exposed screws. The, grilled, 8s were put in custom boxes behind the front seats, which were a little tight and if you leant back you could feel the speaker's grill.

It was all run off a Sony CD Tuner (state of the art for 1997) with one pre-out and two Purple Mosfet 600w amps

Name:  $T2eC16VHJGwE9n)yTee!BROyRHKrSw~~60_35.JPG
Views: 1553
Size:  17.8 KB

Trimmed in bare MDF it was stunning, though to be fair the install was done in 1 morning before 2 friends and I set off round Europe for 3 months in the van. We blew the tweeters before we got to Paris (Smack My Bitch Up was getting a lot of play time) and replaced them in Italy with some Clarion tweets.

The van got broken into in Florence and Amsterdam - a testament to the quality of the install/equipment was that on both occasions the system was left alone and our clothes were stolen...

I may have some old pics, will try and find them and post for your amusement!

6. Back To Top    #16

I guess no one starts life as an expert installer ....

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

Wat. I get my own hall?

Thanks Al.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Stu
    Vehicle
    '02 Honda Accord

This is funny!
    Moar fotos!

9. Back To Top    #19

SO when i saw "sticky hall of shame" i was SO expecting something else.......

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I renamed the thread just for clarity