Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 Civic

1. Back To Top    #1

98 Civic

My son turns 16 in a few weeks. We picked this up from my brother in law a few weeks ago for $600 and my son is going to install the siding on his house. He's been working on my crew for a few years on weekends.

It's spent it's entire life in the Buffalo area so it's extremely surprisingly rust free.
    Last edited by Theslaking; 04-09-2020 at 07:03 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 98 Civic

Nice! Kudos to your son!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have all the pics. I just have to load then to a host for this forum. Probably tomorrow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice! What's the plan??
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    Nice! What's the plan??
    l'm not spending any money on this. Obviously a few bucks but installing stuff I already have. Just giving him a starter system.

2 way + sub.

Purchased used for $100
    Dayton 408 + BT module

Already had this but upgraded
    Samsung Tab A 2019

Bought these to try in my Maxima a couple years ago.
    Vifa 1"- basically these but older
    [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/vifa-soft-dome-tweeters/vifa-bc25sc55-04-1-textile-dome-tweeter-truncated/[/URL]

Had these in my Maxima
    Stereo Integrity TM65MKII

Bought these for my Astro Van
    2 GRS 10SW-2 subs

Toro Rage Micro amps
    Subs - MR2
    Front stage - MRx4
    They are tiny!

I already own all the wiring, fusing, and such.
    Last edited by Theslaking; 04-11-2020 at 12:39 PM.

6. Back To Top    #6

I started with the wiring. Ran the wiring under the door sill trim. No pics we know what that looks like. The added a breaker and upgraded the battery ground.

Found a hole already there. Just added a grommet.

I ran all the wires under the sill trim.
    The door wires were suprisingly difficult.
    The factory just had two grommets one on the car and one on the door. They ran the wires and electrical taped the rest. So I replaced the the tape with some 3m Super 88 and reused the grommets.

The passenger side was ridiculous. I had to remove the entire HVAC system to get the wire in to the door.

This is where the glove box and HVAC were.

Last edited by Theslaking; 04-10-2020 at 04:08 PM.

7. Back To Top    #7

Installed the TM65's. Just a trim ring and Resonix CCF. Not doing anything extra. I'll let my son upgrade deadening/speakers, install down the road.

Took the door panel off hoping I could just use the factory mounting. Had that rusty looking orange ring on the plastic door panel. There wasn't anything wrong just discolored.

I was able to trim the mounting plastic out of the way so I could sneak the TM65 past it.

I was able to cut a nice hole with some hand snipes.

Some butyl rope to even out the door and seal up the mounting ring.

Smoothered in dielectric grease for corrosion protection.

Resonix CCF and mounted up.

Last edited by Theslaking; 04-10-2020 at 04:26 PM.

8. Back To Top    #8

Tweets are going on the dash in pods. I was going to make fiberglass pods. I started to use some clay to make a mold but I had it in dash I thought why not just make a clay pod. So I did. Finished shaping it, baked, sanded and filled.

Last edited by Theslaking; 04-10-2020 at 08:15 PM.

9. Back To Top    #9

I started to fiberglass a sub enclosure into the spare tier well. It's huge. 3.5 cuft. I used Johnson's wax as a mold release. Worked good as a release but discolored the resin and stunk up the car longer than the fiberglass.

Attached to wood

10. Back To Top    #10

And so that glassing didn't work out. It didn't fit right so I just threw it out. I didn't feel like modifying it and waiting for multiple layers to dry. That would have took a couple days. So I rebuilt it with baltic birch.

I still wanted my son to be able to easily remove the box if more space was needed. Skateboarding, snowboarding, biking, cases of beer, 9 teenagers in the car, etc. Whatever kids do. So I used hinges.

Under the CCF

Covered the entire bottom in Resonix CCF

Fits right in. One person job.

Amp tray lid is cut around the strut towers for added safety. Love my flexible rulers.

Bolted the box through a plate in to the spare tire mount. The blue 1 1/2" dowels are bracing.