Thread: Subwoofer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Subwoofer question

I’m hopeful for a rather simplistic answer to my subwoofer question. I know absolutely nothing about car audio other than I purchase cars with decent factory systems and never modify them.
    I have a 2006 Mitsubishi Endeavor with the Infinity sound system. There is an 8” subwoofer in the back quarter panel that needs to be replaced. I had no idea how difficult this would become. Everyone I speak with wants to sell me a new package to upgrade the sound. This car sits in my driveway and is driven once a month at most. Therefore, I am not interested in modifying anything, I simply need a new replacement speaker.
    Compounding my problem is the lack of info for this speaker. I cannot find specs for it online anywhere. I don’t know if I need single or dual coils, 2 or 4 ohms etc. Since the audio stores I visited in person all wanted to sell me upgraded packages, I am now looking on Amazon for options and there are many.
    Are you able to help point me in the correct direction of what I can use for a replacement?
    I have attached pictures of the speaker if that is helpful.
    Thank you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car Connection.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	18807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Factory speaker install.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	18808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speaker Connection.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	18809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speaker Info.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	18810

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: Subwoofer question

How about a direct factory replacement?

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=MR459828

The original part is definitely a single coil speaker based on the single pair of wires. If you want an aftermarket speaker & you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance of the original speaker and then find a suitable replacement. Any aftermarket speaker will not be a simple bolt-in replacement, however… probably why the shop(s) want to sell you something more than what you have. A direct factory replacement will definitely be the easiest option. Maybe not the cheapest, but you may end up at the same cost (or more) by the time you’re done trying to make an aftermarket option fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8647.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	18811  

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

In your case I would figure out what ohm the factory woofer is and then find the cheapest woofer on amazon (insert vendor here) that will fit the spot.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

junkyard. there are junkyards that have newer cars. sometimes they strip the vehicles and have everything inside the building. sometimes you have to pull the parts youself.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

If you liked the way it sounded when it was functioning properly, I'd replace it with OEM. https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...eaker-mr459828

6. Back To Top    #6
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Lots of great advice!

If you go the junkyard route then the one you pull from another car might have a similar failure on the surround like yours does. I would gently push and pull in that area to see if it crumbles apart or is resilient. Would be a bummer to pull a replacement from the junkyard and then end up with the same problem again.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.