Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Re: Active 3-way DIY Setup.

NL8

I use the window and door stuff a lot... Log homes grow and shrink a ton

2. Back To Top    #12

I was going to order an NL4 for the mid/tweet but I thought it might be better to have separated just in case I needed to pull a single speaker for troubleshooting. Would make wiring easier though.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

3. Back To Top    #13

I will say one thing about this build... At some point I hope to be finished.

I've been working on this for about 3 weeks now and keep thinking "okay, I'm gonna finish it this weekend". Then something happens and I lose all my free time. This weekend I burned two hours playing with using additional vertical supports in these speakers. Was up until 2 am Friday.

The next day was supposed to be my day to gain some traction but I wound up going to my nephew's HS baseball game that lasted 3 hours. I then came home to put together a basketball goal that took 4 hours to complete thanks partly to me not reading directions (what are those!?) and partly to it not coming with the right pieces. Luckily I had all thread on hand from this speaker project to remedy that.

Anyway, I'm nearing the end. I've yet to decide on how to finish these but I'm looking to possibly just paint them flat black to get me through. Still have to do some testing to see what DSP settings to use for crossover and EQ. Once these get wrapped up I'm gonna fire up the oppo and my twin JL subs and get down! Then I'll worry about the rest of the HT.

Follow my blog:

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Just do NL8 and mute at the rane.. or the crowns..... Doesn't the Rane have control voltage inputs and outputs? Whip up a panel like I did with my Shure... you can mute your ass off.

http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/sh...ll=1#post17622

5. Back To Top    #15

Active 3-way DIY Setup.

It does. But then I'd have to break out the laptop to control the Rane. Most likely that'd be the case. But I honestly don't mind having them separated.

I DO wish they made an 8 gang (6 gang, really) plug for outlet cover type installs (wall plates). It would be so much easier to tie a single Neutrik connector at the wall plate than multiple banana jack connectors like I have now. Plus, it would sure look better than 3 sets of banana plugs. I could fashion my own but I still wish they made them that way. I know why they don't; can't
    Imagine they'd see that much use since this stuff is typically used in "on the go" type environments and a home isn't really fitting to that.

Follow my blog:

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

IIRC they make single gang NL8 plates... they also make single gang with 2X NL4.

By using the CV I/O you just program switches for mutes. I have 6 outputs on switched mutes with 7-8 unmuted as a test output. The switches have a red/green LED above them to indicate mode. I switch my sub on/off, shop speakers on/off, and garage speakers on/off. I was going to build an "oh shit" global mute but the knob is big and smooth so I can roll it really fast with my hand if things get out of hand in a hurry.

Although an NL8 is huge, it's ONE huge wire as opposed to two, it's also impossible to mis-patch one as opposed to two. I'm always VERY careful about that patching shit. Don't want a sub channel ending up on a HF device

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

8. Back To Top    #18

It took me an hour and a half to cut the hole for the kef. I test cut on two separate pieces of mdf to make sure I got the flush depth right. The flush mount is about as perfect as I could ask for.
    There's a fine line between too much and too little in the ID, so I cut that on the smaller side and spent a good 20 minutes sanding a but and test fitting until I got it just right.

This is just a test fit to see how it's coming together which explains the clamps. I will chamfer the inside for the mid. I still have other things to do before I worry about attaching the front piece permanently. But it's actually starting to come together. Woot!

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Daymn...

10. Back To Top    #20

yeah... not bad...

No really, it's a hell of a nice job

Kelvin