Thread: My other hobbie....

1. Back To Top    #1

My other hobbie....

I currently own 4 city lots worth of garden with a well and a vegetable stand. The tillable area is 150 ft. x 100 ft. I do everything with no chemical pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers. That means lots of sheep shit and weeding

This year:

200 pepper plants,60 tomato plants,Sweet Corn,Mellons,Squash (various kinds),Sunflowers,Beans (pole and bush),Peas,All kinds of Herbs,Horseradish,Peaches,Blackberries,60 pounds of seed potato,cucumbers, pumpkins, zuchini, okra,strawberries and much more but I think ya'll get the point... its an urban farm.

Most recently I purchased one of those cheap metal storage building and failed miserably at it. It went together alright but 2 hours later we had a wind storm and it got wrapped around a tree before I could anchor it....TWICE!!!

I finally think I got it anchored down...the concrete pad is old and about half the shots I put into it with the Ramset wouldnt hold. Jon (dejo) got to see me have a mental breakdown during the whole process...it may have been the first time!

Next is a tin roof on my veggie stand...then hopefully the ground will be ready for tillage.

I'll get some pics up soon..and continue to update as the growing season progresses.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Re: My other hobbie....

damn

My backyard has 1 jalapeno pepper plant and one notsupposedtobedwarf orange tree
    Last edited by astrochex; 03-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Jon/Jonnie
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt

it wasnt pretty after the wind gusts the first 2 times it got smoked. not sure if it has seen a third beating yet

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
    damn

My backwayd has 1 jalapeno pepper plant and one notsupposedtobedwarf orange tree
    My peach trees are notsupposedtobedwarf...but they were there when I bought the place so I don't if they are young or just screwed up. I got a dwarf apple tree in my yard that is supposed to have 3 different varieties of apples on the same tree...pretty excited for when it starts producing.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Our orange tree was free from the city ~3 yrs ago. It produced its first crop last year and the oranges are amazing. I probably picked the first ones too early, they were good but not great. But way better than store bought. Thin skin, very juicy, sweet. It took me a while to figure out a watering routine that the tree likes.

I finally propped up the main trunk, it was bent over from the fruit and I did not want to mess with it. I'm doing more pest control by removing trouble leaves and hosing it off frequently.