Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Avalon Limited Build

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: 2014 Avalon Limited Build

I figure I’d give one last update… at least until the next time I change something. I got a tune at the NC meet by Jason Carter and I’m extremely pleased. I managed to give several demos throughout the day and all seemed to be impressed. I also got some feedback on some tweaks I can make to improve things slightly even though I’m more than pleased as-is.

On my 6hr trip home it seemed that it was just slightly right-biased but that may be due to my hearing deficiencies in my left ear. So once home I hooked up the laptop and started by first increasing the level on the L tweeter in baby steps. About 2dB is all it needed and everything seemed to come together so I left everything else alone.

I’ve been enjoying the crap out of it and will likely leave everything alone as it’s a pure joy to listen to. Will it win comps? Maybe. Maybe I’ll give it a shot someday just to see how it stacks up but, again, I’m content so this is the final package. Im going to try to attend more meets within a reasonable distance of me so if you see me & the car feel free to ask for a listen. 👍🏻👍🏻

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Are you coming to SVR?

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Probably not. But in the unlikely chance I do, it’ll be to spectate.

4. Back To Top    #54
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

If I don't head to that NY meet, I may try to set something up with you to head to PA and finally hear the Avalon and hopefully mine will be completely done and tuned so we can trade demos.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    I figure I’d give one last update… at least until the next time I change something. I got a tune at the NC meet by Jason Carter and I’m extremely pleased. I managed to give several demos throughout the day and all seemed to be impressed. I also got some feedback on some tweaks I can make to improve things slightly even though I’m more than pleased as-is.

On my 6hr trip home it seemed that it was just slightly right-biased but that may be due to my hearing deficiencies in my left ear. So once home I hooked up the laptop and started by first increasing the level on the L tweeter in baby steps. About 2dB is all it needed and everything seemed to come together so I left everything else alone.

I’ve been enjoying the crap out of it and will likely leave everything alone as it’s a pure joy to listen to. Will it win comps? Maybe. Maybe I’ll give it a shot someday just to see how it stacks up but, again, I’m content so this is the final package. Im going to try to attend more meets within a reasonable distance of me so if you see me & the car feel free to ask for a listen. 
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Sounds good. If you don’t make NY, I’ll be at Ian’s in Sept too.

6. Back To Top    #56
    Vehicle
    Swedish Wagon

Mini-PA meet before September :-)
    Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

7. Back To Top    #57
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post
    Mini-PA meet before September :-)
    I could probably plan something up.

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Ok… one more update. As good as Jason did with the TWK tune, even he admitted it had its limitations. So with the idea of taking my car to the next level, and after a LOT of research, I decided on the MiniDSP 8x12 with Dirac. I can honestly say, except for the TM8s, this was the next best upgrade I’ve done. Luckily the Mini dropped right into the rack with no modifications to the trim panel. So… to the installation…

Like I said the Mini itself dropped right in where the TWK was.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8393.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	18834

Next up was the mounting of the OLED remote. I wanted it within easy reach for adjustment of the sub level and also to make switching presets easy so I decided to go with the storage cubby just forward of the shifter. First step was bending up a piece of 1/8” ABS with a notch for the wire/plug.

Name:	IMG_8364.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	18835

I then screwed the ABS to the cubby from underneath.

Name:	IMG_8368.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	18836 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8369.jpg 
Size:	170.2 KB 
ID:	18837

Next was drilling a hole and inserting a grommet to keep things tidy even though it won’t be seen

Name:	IMG_8372.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	18838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8373.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	18839

The next dilemma was mounting the actual remote to the mount. I originally thought of using double sided body tape. We use it at work to affix emblems & side skirts. It was a little too aggressive and it’s a real problem to remove. So I tried to think of a less aggressive adhesive so as to not destroy the remote if I ever decide to change anything. The idea of using Command strips came to mind. I tested removal and it came off easily. So I stuck the remote to the mount and road-tested it for a few days. It held really well with no adverse effects so it stayed… still holding up even after 6mos.

Name:	IMG_8380.jpg 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	18840

So, after multiple GTGs and several demos at each GTG, I can easily say that this is by far the best my car has ever been. Hopefully this is the last upgrade… at least for a while anyway.

9. Back To Top    #59
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I went through your build again today. I am planning for my IB build and seeing your step by step was really helpful. Good pictures and ideas.
    Thanks.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I guess that’s kinda why we do these build logs, huh? Glad I could help. There’s probably more detail & stuff over on that other site if you need “more”, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.