Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer

Got some work done on the amp rack/battery box:

Both Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have full sheets of birch, which I find odd. They did have 2'x4' sheets of 3/4", which I used, and BARELY had enough with what I had leftover from the last box. Anyway, still need to measure and cut the two side pieces over the wheel well, because I changed the dimensions a little so the cardboard template won't work. Also need the $150 worth of fans I want to measure and do the cooling the way I want it.
    Build log: 2011 Chevrolet Impala
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370
    Ground Zero GZHA 4200XII & 2400XII

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

2. Back To Top    #12

Shell is done.

Not fond of this corner, but needed to be done to get over the wheel well

Need clean up some of the cuts and edges. Need to add some fans in there somehow, not quite sure how yet. Also need to add supports in the bottom, because the floor isn't exactly even.

Cut the top piece. Here's how it should look:

The amps will be mounted about .5-.75" off the board. Gonna have to use threaded rod and washers/nuts for the 5k because the mounting tabs are so far off the board. Threaded rod and washers/nuts are so ugly though. Anyone have any ideas?

But I am going to be drilling holes for all wires, routing all edges, then staining it. Will be on hinges so the long edge close to the 5k opens upward.
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

3. Back To Top    #13

Just got this in today:

Combination ammeter/voltage meter and 500A 75mV shunt. Should allow me to see both voltage and current draw from my amps. Hopefully I can wire it up correctly and not fry it. Got the manufacturer (Chinese) to provide me a translated wiring diagram, so I should be alright. Has anyone used something like this before?
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

4. Back To Top    #14

Made some standoffs from some material I got at Lowe's. Amps are 1.25" from the board.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

5. Back To Top    #15

Got tint done all around today. Done by a 3M authorized installer so it's guaranteed for life (as long as I don't lose the card). Got 35% on the front two windows, and 20% on all windows behind the driver in addition to the factory tint, so around 10% in the back.

Been workin on the amp rack/batt box a little, but nothin worth posting yet.
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

6. Back To Top    #16

So, been working on the amp rack. Got both amps figured out, mounting holes drilled and test-mounted, power wire holes drilled and routed, just waiting on fans now to measure and cut holes for before I start to stain the top piece.

Also got it mounted on hinges and latches. Used butterfly latches, pretty much the only latches I know of that I trust not to eventually rattle loose.

Thinkin about getting some hood or trunk gas springs, not sure yet. Probably will just use a strap or something to keep it from going too far over.

I'm positive I'm staining the top a nice dark brown, still undecided on the bottom, will probably just carpet.

Got my $100 worth of fans in from Newegg. 140mm fans, top will be pulling, side will be pushing out from box. Sorry, the pictures are a bit shoddy, it's da iPhone.

I think the top is ready for stain after some light sanding. I was thinking about putting a voltage meter and the switches for the fans up there, but I think I'm going to keep it clean and put them on the sides. I think it would ruin the classic stained look.

Also, I LOVE this Craftsman Bolt-on kit. I've done all of this with the driver, jigsaw, and router attachments (besides the side cuts with a trim saw).
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

7. Back To Top    #17

Just took off my door card, and holy F'n S, am I F'ed in the A.

So not only do I need another 1.5" in depth, I need an additional inch in diameter. I knew it would be some work, but I didn't think it would be THIS much.

I think I have an idea though. But it will require me to finally learn to glass. Thought I might be able to get away without doing it for this build. Oh well.
    Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

8. Back To Top    #18

So here's what I'm gonna do: I made 3/4" birch rings. Still need an inch of depth, so I'm going to prop this up with dowels, stretch some fleece, and fiberglass it to the blue plastic piece. Then I'll add some chop mat to the whole thing for strength, and mount directly to the door metal. Then I will need to cut the grill off the door card, and fiberglass that higher as well. I do want to use it, because I don't trust passengers and I tend to rest my leg against it.

Also figured out the possible amp stand-off problem. I was apprehensive about using the plastic pieces, but I liked the look of them, so I snagged some brass pipe and cut it to fit inside, pounded it in, and voila, no more problems. [MENTION=8]keep_hope_alive[/MENTION] and [MENTION=121]audiobaun[/MENTION] led me to this.

Stained the top piece too. I'ts not the most even stain, but I like it

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

9. Back To Top    #19

So, haven't done a whole lot. Just worked on this POS speaker baffle and my amp rack/batt box some.

Mid baffle first. Pretty embarrassed to show this, but whatever. It turned out looking like a 4th grader made it. But, you won't be able to see them once I get the door panels reworked, and they seem pretty strong, so I'm not too concerned with it. I'm sticking to bondo from now on.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370

10. Back To Top    #20

Made a few pieces for the bottom of the rack so it will sit level and has support for the batteries:

Should be almost ready for carpet. Also got the top done. One coat of stain, two coats of polyurethane. Got amps mounted and fans installed and wired up.

Should be my final wiring schematic. Will be using terminal strips because of all the connections:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    Vifa NE25VTS-04
    Stereo Integrity TM65
    Dayton Audio HO 15
    Soundstream REF2.370