Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: claydo's rebuild log..........

1. Back To Top    #611

Re: claydo's rebuild log..........

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    What's the reasoning that it's blowing your skirt up so effectively? Whatchu like about it? Do tell.
    How about a complete matching l/r eq tune......in 10 minutes, and by matching, I mean response smoother than I could ever get close to with traditional methods. It also adressed issues I've had the whole time I've had the car........you know, the stray wondering frequencies that ya hear in certain songs, particularly in the midbass (think acoustic bass, as the player works up and down the neck, through the crossover points, as the pitches change, random notes will sometimes be emphasized by a particular driver, this drives me insane, even when it is so subtle most folks don't acknowledge it).....no pulling to drivers now, at all.........so far of course, still on my initial impressions, I need more time listening........the lack of holes in the midbass response, which I've always had to deal with is remarkable as well.......it's still early, but like I said.....kinda blown away right now.
    Last edited by claydo; 03-15-2017 at 12:49 PM.

2. Back To Top    #612

I'm having lots of fun playing with this new eq! I ordered it with the "15 position switch switch" option, and have programmed in several of the different pre-loaded curves. It is cool to switch curves instantly, while listening critically, lol. My next step is programming in my own curves, looking forward to this! The cool thing is you can program in "target curves" over top of the corrections the software makes, so the tonality adjustments don't affect the corrections! I like that. I just need to mount the selector switch and the level knob from the twk, it kinda sucks picking them up to make adjustments.....

3. Back To Top    #613
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    How about a complete matching l/r eq tune......in 10 minutes, and by matching, I mean response smoother than I could ever get close to with traditional methods. It also adressed issues I've had the whole time I've had the car........you know, the stray wondering frequencies that ya hear in certain songs, particularly in the midbass (think acoustic bass, as the player works up and down the neck, through the crossover points, as the pitches change, random notes will sometimes be emphasized by a particular driver, this drives me insane, even when it is so subtle most folks don't acknowledge it).....no pulling to drivers now, at all.........so far of course, still on my initial impressions, I need more time listening........the lack of holes in the midbass response, which I've always had to deal with is remarkable as well.......it's still early, but like I said.....kinda blown away right now.
    FIR filters for the big win!! Dude I'm gonna want the full dollar tour of that thing! That's way cool. Kiser said he had some difficulties ever getting it right. It sounds like you've tapped onto something there. I can't wait to hear this thing!
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

4. Back To Top    #614

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    FIR filters for the big win!! Dude I'm gonna want the full dollar tour of that thing! That's way cool. Kiser said he had some difficulties ever getting it right. It sounds like you've tapped onto something there. I can't wait to hear this thing!
    No problem dood, I can walk ya right thru it! May even wipe it clean and show ya how quick the tuning is, compared to regular tuning.....well, honestly there is no comparison, at all. No repetitive measuring, no stupid averaging multiple measurements, no comparing graph, after graph, after graph.....well you know........this method is stupid easy, and fast. I don't think John ever got his gain structure correct, you can overload the inputs easily, which doesent leave any headroom for the eq to do its thing, and creates nasty distortion, at least that seems to be his situation after reading his posts about it "over there". I ran into the exact same thing on my first attempt.......I was trying to give the apl the strongest signal I could, and all was good before eq, once the unit was programmed to correct, the signal was just too strong, causing the boosts to clip the signal........after I correct that, everything worked beautifully!

5. Back To Top    #615
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

6. Back To Top    #616

Hey claydo, I'm glad you figured out the software and can enjoy your new toy! It really is amazing how well the APL1 works isn't it?

7. Back To Top    #617

It really is kinda amazing....fo sho. I didn't really know what to expect, but it has turned out to be exactly what I hoped for. The software really didn't give me too many issues, followed the quick start guide and your advice in the apl thread at deema, and I was all over it. I've said several times now, it's like cheating.....lmao. It certainly manipulates a lot more than just frequency response, that for sure........it's almost idiot (claydo) proof! I couldn't match it's eq prowess, that's for sure.........Raimonds measurement software matches what's going on so well, I don't believe I'll ever use rew again. Next step is learning to use the parametric eq software to program some target curves of my own, as mp1 is a little hot in the lower mids for my personal tastes.........I may hit you up with a question or two about getting c1 and apl workshop communicating if I have any trouble.

8. Back To Top    #618

The software can be REALLY intimidating at first, but once you figure it out, you can tune a car in just minutes! Quite incredible!

You can also use the same target curve files you use with REW. I modified Andy W's target curve and added a dip around 3k in just a few minutes. If your target curve doesn't have the 4096 points, then Workshop will create a new file and add the missing points when you go import it.

My next step is to decipher what Raimonds told me about modifying the multifunction switch so I can use a simple magnetic switch for my top up/top down tunes.

9. Back To Top    #619

So, I needed to mount the new volume, sub level of the twk, as well as the 15 position switch of the apl1 unit. My head unit mounting kit had a rather thin pocket underneath it that I never used........so I made a blank panel out of abs to cover the pocket and used it to mount my two controls within easy reach. The panel is large enough to accommodate more than I've mounted to it, so more use of the blank space will be likely later.....possibly usb connections to the processor and eq, and/or a voltage gauge........that will come in time. Here's a quick shot of the work, the nickel castle nuts added a touch of bling, and I think I like em....lol, I don't however like the look of the backing sticker from the apl switch, being white it doesent blend well, even if it is shiny laminated.......may do something different there, eventually......

10. Back To Top    #620

When it comes time for more connectors, take a look at Switchcraft panel mount connectors. VERY high quality connectors that can handle the abuse us touring folks throw at electronics.