Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: claydo's rebuild log..........

1. Back To Top    #41
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Re: claydo's rebuild log..........

I always wanted to try a dipole / now a side dipole tweet. I will add another set of tweets when I go back to passive.and a small amp. Run them on the tweet output of the 9255 so I have full ta and level control.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #42

The problem with that kind of aiming or positioning is the thing in which you're using to try to enhance the stage: the side glass reflections.

IME, the side reflection off the glass causes more problems than it helps. The stage doesn't seem to widen; in fact I'd argue it seems more narrow. The whole stage skews from close in front of you on the nearside to further away on the far side. The intensity of the reflection is the problem and there's really no way to cut it down in a car with absorption panels. You could try applying a LPF on the tweeter above 10khz (just picking a number) with a shallow slope (maybe 6dB/octave) to knock down the intensity and help create the illusion of depth on the nearside which should further help enhance the width. Maybe that would help. But, I never got it to work. The only way I could ever get rid of the nearside skew was to toe the driver's side speakers more inward.

None of this is a shot at Ally's install. I've told her my feelings about it already.

3. Back To Top    #43

That's what it's all about.....playing around to see what you can come up with! I love it when someone brings something different to the table, you never know what the end results will be. It certainly is exciting to see folks experimenting....and getting creative. I will probably stick with more traditional methods, but I definitely have the itch to play while still in the aiming phase!

4. Back To Top    #44
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    The problem with that kind of aiming or positioning is the thing in which you're using to try to enhance the stage: the side glass reflections.

IME, the side reflection off the glass causes more problems than it helps. The stage doesn't seem to widen; in fact I'd argue it seems more narrow. The whole stage skews from close in front of you on the nearside to further away on the far side. The intensity of the reflection is the problem and there's really no way to cut it down in a car with absorption panels. You could try applying a LPF on the tweeter above 10khz (just picking a number) with a shallow slope (maybe 6dB/octave) to knock down the intensity and help create the illusion of depth on the nearside which should further help enhance the width. Maybe that would help. But, I never got it to work. The only way I could ever get rid of the nearside skew was to toe the driver's side speakers more inward.

I agree that's why I wanted a separate amp so I could play with all aspects including cutting the top end off to cut down on the red liquid dripping from my left ear.

None of this is a shot at Ally's install. I've told her my feelings about it already.
    Way to steal my thunder Erin Now you'll know what I am calling "Sun shades" at next meet. 1-3" acoustic panels over the side Windows. LOL.
    But isn't that why Bose is the best with their small drivers reflecting "big sound and stage" it's always so linear, dynamic & tonality is perfect!! LOL
    Even when really good companies do it mirage, Def Tech, and even Martin Logan they always seem to give up focus for the sake of size. The dynamics at Gayle's house the shear dynamics and stage was incredibly large but it felt less focused on pin pointing the staging than say the large utopias or Wilson's. But the stage is much better for a larger seating area with the Di/Bi poles. One of my all time favorites is the Dyn evidence. But when you can tune the room, system, and have all the speakers in front of you in the same general area more than 30" from your ears it does help.

Clay so sorry for bogarting your thread!! Not into home wreaking or thread jacking.
    One thing I have found with tuning audio after the years nothing surprises me anymore. Some the weirdest things that defy all laws of sound physics can amaze you. I guess that's why people keep pushing the limits.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Ok Clay nice weekend coming up want to see some progress. Lol. My honey do list is way to long! Got to get caught up so I can make some changes. I have new rebuilds and pods to make a redneck slip N slide to assemble for the fourth hope I get to the mods.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

7. Back To Top    #47
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Crickets chirp chirp

8. Back To Top    #48

Lol

9. Back To Top    #49
    Vehicle
    BMW 530I E39

Man your build log has as many crickets as mine. It's getting hard to hear!!! I hope to get some time 2nd to third week of July!!

10. Back To Top    #50

I hope to finally get back at it......been procrastinating like a mofo. At the beach this week with the family, and got some unexpected motivation.......In the form of an excellent sounding theater. I actually sat all the way through to the end of the credits because of the orchestration at the end of how to train your Dragon 2. The sound system was fantastic.