Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Dean
    Vehicle
    2006 Lexus IS350

Re: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

VERY nice! You should be quite proud bro, that looks great!

2. Back To Top    #22
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Nice job, Tim!

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

Thanks guys! This forum is so pleasant and supportive.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Nice job, my friend!

5. Back To Top    #25

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMAY!!! View Post
    Thanks guys! This forum is so pleasant and supportive.
    Shut up dummy! Moar work!

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Dean
    Vehicle
    2006 Lexus IS350

Where are you getting the replacement frame from? I'm really digging this build, by the way. I've bought two vehicles that were from the North. Had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and a 2002 GMC Sierra that were both from Michigan. Loved them both (especially the Jeep) but the rust was a bitch. Did a lift on the Jeep and all four rear shock bolts broke off and I had to drill and tap. This is definitely gonna be a great build, be sure to post more pics than you think are necessary. We like lots of pics!

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    Where are you getting the replacement frame from? I'm really digging this build, by the way. I've bought two vehicles that were from the North. Had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and a 2002 GMC Sierra that were both from Michigan. Loved them both (especially the Jeep) but the rust was a bitch. Did a lift on the Jeep and all four rear shock bolts broke off and I had to drill and tap. This is definitely gonna be a great build, be sure to post more pics than you think are necessary. We like lots of pics!
    I got the frame from New Jersey. It's in VERY good condition. I have neglected to post pictures of it, but I will soon! Rust is a total bitch, but the replacement frame has, for all intents and purposes, no rust. It will be completely coated in SPI (Southern Polyurethane) epoxy primer. All the brake lines and fuel lines will be replaced, all the front suspension and steering components will be inspected and replaced as necessary, and all bushings, mounts, or anything that needs doing will be done. It's not gonna be a show truck, but if things go my way, it will be a SOLID truck and will look halfway decent. Thankfully, the truck is fairly mechanically sound as it is. It needs a few things, but the engine is in decent shape and the transmission is fine. In the future I hope to replace the fairly weak AX-15 tranny with an NV4500 (tranny that comes behind the V8s) and replace the rear axle with a 9.25" axle and a limited slip...but these are [very expensive] luxuries and will be done as money permits. SO many things to think about. Goal for now is to do all the essentials...and of course, an audio system is one of those essentials... Thanks for your interest.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Dean
    Vehicle
    2006 Lexus IS350

The truck itself looks pretty solid. Is it 4 wheel drive? Looks like it is based on the height, but I don't see any badges to indicate it is. I would say lift it while doing the frame work, if so. Sucks those use torsion keys on the front like my Sierra did. Scary shit when you release the tension on those things! Looks like you have it pretty well planned out. Go ahead and assume brake and fuel lines will be a bitch, because they will. As for steering and suspension components go, they can add up quickly. You may want to look into a complete replacement package online, which could be less expensive than paying retail for a few parts here and there. If you are gonna do individual parts, be sure to check out rockauto.com. I've bought from them many times in the past. Way cheaper than retail, trust me.

http://www.rockauto.com/

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

You are right sir. It is 4-wheel drive; it's got a 4x4 emblem on the upper tailgate, and if you look very closely at the first picture in the thread, you can just barely see where it says 4x4 on the protective rubber strip next to 'Dakota'. It's supposed to have one on the driver's side as well, but it fell off! Minus 20 hp right there. I gotta say though, the 4x4 in this is pretty damn good. However, I'm really hoping I can budget in a new rear axle to really get some bitchin' traction. I have a puny 7.5" axle in the rear for which there is no LSD/Locker available, and I'd like to replace it with a 9.25" axle from a later model Dakota/Durango and add a Powertrax Lock-Right automatic locking rear differential. That'll be at least $500-$600 all told.

I plan to lift it max of 3" suspension lift, but more like 2" probably, with torsion bars maxed out. A solid axle swap is not for me at this time.

For the brake lines and probably the fuel lines, I'm going to use SUR&R EZ-Bend Nickel-Copper lines. They are awesome. I replaced all the lines on my dad's '02 Silverado (all of them were rusted through at the ABS module) with those lines, and they are wonderful to work with. I'd recommend them to anyone. It's going to be a piece of cake to do the lines when I have the "luxury" of the cab and bed off.

Yea, I use Rockauto too! They've always got some sort of ridiculous prices on "Wholesaler Closeouts" that make me so happy. I plan to come up with a giant order so I can do like $1000 worth all at once, hopefully covering a nice chunk of things that it needs. I'm gonna dive into this money pit head first!
    Last edited by TIMMAY!!!; 02-17-2014 at 10:32 PM.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Rockauto is the best.