Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

Re: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

Admittedly, I did drive it. Not like daily drive it, but I drove it on occasion. After I saw how bad the rust was, I pretty much stopped driving it. But I took it out on the backroads a few times. Still not a good idea.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

2. Back To Top    #12

That's scary dude.....

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

Props to you rrama for how you handled the accident with the veteran.

The world could use a few more thousands of people like you.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

Don't worry everyone, I'm not bailing on this project yet! I still plan to have the cab off this weekend. I decided it would be best to remove the front clip before removing the cab because I don't want to lift the cab any higher than necessary.

I have extremely limited time to work on it with school and work, and this doesn't help much:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weather.png 
Views:	461 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	1986

We've got a few inches on the ground already. No moar snow tanks.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

I know this needs updates. But the weather is absolutely atrocious. Too bad, because I have a 5 day weekend (Thursday-Monday) and I want to use it. Tomorrow, if the roads are good enough, I plan on heading to Jo-Ann's and getting some headliner vinyl and some fleece and whatever else I can think of that I might need. I have to work on something.

6. Back To Top    #16

You can do it! Remember, feeling cold is only temporary (partly because after a time you stop feeling anything, but), your progress isn't! Brave the weather, I can do it, you can do it It's always worth it in the end.

I expect updates during your break Tim. Do not disappoint!

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

It's not the cold, I don't mind the cold (until my hands are so froze I can't hold anything). But it's been snowing today, then it started raining. There's only so much I can do. I need to be able to move the truck one more time (under a tree to pull the cab), so I can't disconnect anything mechanical/electrical yet and there's no way I could lift the cab in these conditions. FTS! But thanks for the encouragement Ally!

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

Okay, so the town roads were NOT good, but I went out anyways. On the highway I passed two accidents, which I thought was odd because the highway seemed fine. But I ended up doing what I said I was going to do today. I went to Jo-Ann's picked up some headliner material and upholstery glue, and went to town on the headliner. Total of about $50 (including a couple yards of fleece I bought...for the road ahead) This was my first time doing a headliner, and I couldn't have asked for an easier one to learn on.

This is the old one:

After pulling the fabric off, I broke out a stiff plastic bristle brush (which worked AWESOME) and removed as much of the foam residue as possible.

Then I used a razor blade at a right angle to scrape even more crap off.

Before.

Good to go.

There were a few repairs I had to make. The rear of the headliner right behind the dome light was ripped, so I glued that. I made repairs using cardboard and duct tape to 3 corners of the liner. Also, the spot for the sun visor mount is supposed to have an inset piece which is what allows the visor mount to hold the liner up. Those pieces fell out, so I made new ones...out of cardboard and wood glue.

All repairs completed, ready for fabric.

Lay the fabric out nice and centered, then fold half of it back so that it completely covers the other half (this will prevent glue from getting on the front of the fabric)

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

Continued.

This seemed to work well. I sprayed it liberally on both the fabric and the liner and let them dry for a few minutes.

Careful, once the liner is folded down, you pretty much can't move it. It's pretty easy to work wrinkles out, but you will not be able to reposition the liner. I did a lot of rubbing to make sure the foam was well adhered.

Now fold the free half over the adhered half and repeat the procedure. This is what the glue looks like.

Both halves done.

Let it dry for a bit, then flip the liner over and cut holes where there needs to be holes. A tip for small holes (e.g. ones for the clothes hanger) is to not try to cut the whole hole out because it's a pain in the butt...just cut a cross into it so that the screw will go through. There is much less chance for a fuck up if you do it this way.

Oh yeah, take note of where the old headliner fabric was folded over the liner. I forgot to, but it was pretty obvious that mine was folded along the front and the back from the leftover adhesive, and the sides were cut flush. So, that's exactly what I did for the new one.

After the sides were cut flush, I cut the front and back so that the remaining fabric would fold over. I broke out the glue again and folded the fabric over the liner.

Done. Color is lighter than the OEM, but I couldn't give a fuck less.

And that's that. Didn't get much else done today. This took me a while.

Stay tuned...or don't, I don't care.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

That's some awesome work there Tim. Keep on truckin' and this build will be done before you know it.