Thread: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

Hello everyone.

The main reason for this build thread is to chronicle the entire process for the frame replacement on my 1993 Dakota V6 5-speed. The rear half of the frame is completely rotted. I picked up a very nice and clean frame to replace it. It did need welding work because the guy I bought it from cut two crossmembers.

In addition, I have a 318 V8 sitting on an engine stand right now. I haven't touched it and I have no idea what it needs. Supposedly it was running when it was pulled out. If the stars align, the V8 will be replacing the V6. However, the truck itself will take priority over the V8 with respect to time and money, so there is a fair chance that the V6 will be put back in.

As far as audio goes, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. At least, I hope to put down some sound deadening and run wires while I have the cab stripped, but the rest of the system may have to wait.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have. I will be taking a lot of pictures and taking notes, all of which I'm very willing to share. I will not be posting all of the pictures, but you may view all of the pictures I take here:

Dodge Dakota Pictures

Oh, by the way; I named my truck "The Victim" for two reasons. First, it has been through a lot and is ready to break in half. Second, anything I touch should be considered a victim.

I hope you enjoy the log.

Initial Exterior

Does something look a little wrong here?

Today, 1/26/14, I got the bed off and stripped out part of the cab interior.

It was a little chilly out.

The worst rot is behind the front leaf spring hanger. I am convinced that if the hanger rivets weren't there, the frame would break in half.

More unrelated fun. Today I got into my first accident. Guy made a right on red and smashed my Subaru's door in. Bah, I don't give a ****. He was super apologetic, probably about 70 years old, driving a POS Hyundai and I believe he was a veteran. He didn't need any extra stress so I let it go.

Stay tuned...I will post pictures of the new frame soon.
    Last edited by TIMMAY!!!; 01-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Dean
    Vehicle
    2006 Lexus IS350

Re: The Victim Build Thread -- Featuring frame replacement

Holy crap! This is why I don't buy used vehicles from up north. Salt is a bish!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by shamethellama View Post
    More unrelated fun. Today I got into my first accident. Guy made a right on red and smashed my Subaru's door in. Bah, I don't give a ****. He was super apologetic, probably about 70 years old, driving a POS Hyundai and I believe he was a veteran. He didn't need any extra stress so I let it go.[/B]

Thanks, for not being just another dumb mongoloid from our generation. Very kind of you, man.

re: road salt and rust - ha! All too familiar. Heartbreaking, when you get to peeling the rusty cornflakes off of what used to be your frame. I don't suppose you're gonna have a new frame dipped, are you?

Interested to see how this one goes

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

The guy immediately got his insurance out too. He was totally compliant. I figure that I'd rather pay for a new used door than make his day any worse. Actually I wish I had stayed longer to talk with him...if he was actually a veteran, I would have liked to thank him. Meh, maybe I'll see him around.

The frame isn't going to be dipped. I'm going to strip all the surface rust off of it and paint it using SPI Epoxy Primer. It looks like this approximately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_A_arms.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	495.6 KB 
ID:	1870
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
    Holy crap! This is why I don't buy used vehicles from up north. Salt is a bish!
    That also show how bad Chrysler was a rust proofing back in the 90's.

Sucks that the soobie got a bit smashed though a solid door from the pick and pull should be pretty cheap.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by shamethellama View Post
    I figure that I'd rather pay for a new used door than make his day any worse.
    That, right there, is remarkable. It shouldn't be, but realistically, it is. Still, this makes me happy.

And honey, I'm afraid that's a wee bit more than surface rust, what you got going on there...

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-FiDelity View Post
    That also show how bad Chrysler was a rust proofing back in the 90's.

Sucks that the soobie got a bit smashed though a solid door from the pick and pull should be pretty cheap.
    But it says this on on the seat trim! Chrysler wouldn't lie!

Yeah, I'll find a cheap door. Hopefully the same color haha.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Even their QC placard is falling off.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by millerlyte View Post

And honey, I'm afraid that's a wee bit more than surface rust, what you got going on there...
    Oh no, that frame is TRASHED. Done, FUBAR, fucked. At least from the cab back. If you dipped it, it would just about disappear.

I have a new frame to put on it. That's the one I was talking about that will be painted.

That reminds me, my friend had a good nickname for my Subaru, which I can't believe I've never thought of. Subaru, FUBARU.

10. Back To Top    #10

Holeeeeey shit........you weren't driving that Dodge like that, were you? And props on letting the old dude slide.....