Here is the 5 on the dash, about 15* angled in:

For comparison here is the JL 4 same location:

2. Back To Top    #112
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Re: 2012 Charger - Veronica

as much as I really wanted to use the Fountek's, the door location just has too many problems in this vehicle. I tried with them in the floor, but that staging is atrocious. The way I explained it to others, it doesn't rainbow, it pyramids...

So, yesterday I started experimenting with this:

And this is gonna work. I might try them in the actual dash like the factory 3.5's, but from the 2 hours I spent last night with the eq and listening, it is very nice. Here is the left and right speakers after some level matching and eq work:

That's +/- 3db from about 250hz to 5khz. At the moment they are playing 300 to 4k.

I completely mucked up my TA, so that will be tonight's task, but so far I'm liking where this is going.

In the cosmetic department, Jason Owens picked up my plexi panels:

In post #5 I showed the design of this panel and how I came up with it. The plexi for the amps is in the box, so I'll have to wait to get pics of those.

3. Back To Top    #113

Quote Originally Posted by pocket5s View Post
    as much as I really wanted to use the Fountek's, the door location just has too many problems in this vehicle. I tried with them in the floor, but that staging is atrocious. The way I explained it to others, it doesn't rainbow, it pyramids...
    this made me LOL.

the graphs look really good so far, man. I'm curious to see what you think of the overall levels once you've matched each side through the 20khz range. I've noticed a left side bias when I do this which I typically flesh out by ear. among some other funnies. thinking the RTA method may be a bit trickier above 8khz, so I've gotten to the point where I use my ears for a final tune above that range. curious if you have similar findings.

4. Back To Top    #114
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

Quote Originally Posted by erinh View Post
    this made me LOL.

the graphs look really good so far, man. I'm curious to see what you think of the overall levels once you've matched each side through the 20khz range. I've noticed a left side bias when I do this which I typically flesh out by ear. among some other funnies. thinking the RTA method may be a bit trickier above 8khz, so I've gotten to the point where I use my ears for a final tune above that range. curious if you have similar findings.
    You should have heard it. center just above dash. left and right, directly on the floor lol. it was bad.

I'm glad you mentioned the levels via rta thing. I thought I was going nuts. Spent quite a bit of time matching those, then when I listened it was all kinds of off and I would start tweaking the other way, usually be several db worth. I thought I was doing something wrong.

5. Back To Top    #115

I'm thinking it has more to do with the time. I've been meaning to try tuning off a gated response above that range but I just haven't gotten around to it. Though, I did do the measurements and it jives with what I was hearing.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

6. Back To Top    #116
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

made a little road trip today to OKC. Picked up the acrylic panels from Jason. Here is the big one:

also moved on to testing midrange location #3...

factory locations. alllmost a direct drop in, but a little trimming and a small amount of fab will get them in without too much trouble. Definitely less work than building speaker pods.

7. Back To Top    #117
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

couple of other pieces I picked up:

amp bases that will be edge lit:

a W7 logo that Jason donated to the cause (thanks Jason!)

8. Back To Top    #118
    a boom box is not a toy jowens500's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

You know it! I had a bunch of them made about 5 years ago, but you have the last one.

9. Back To Top    #119

This is such a beautiful and elaborate build. Thank you for all the nice pictures and the discussions on why you chose to do what you did. It is very helpful in trying to learn about this mythical creature we all call SQ?

Its builds like this that made me join the forum.

Thank you!

10. Back To Top    #120
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

You act like you don't know sq. Shame on you

Glad you made it to where all the cool kids are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com