Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all.

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Hello all.

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Matt! We're a fairly new site, so the content is more about quality than it is quantity :thumbsup:

Nice system you've got there. I have to warn you that putting extra batteries and/or caps won't help a struggling alternator...it will actually be more of a strain.
    Really? My understanding was that a cap would smooth out the voltage so the regulator wouldn't be struggling to keep the voltage at 14.4.
    I'm running a 140a alternator (stock is 95), the extra battery is mostly an insurance policy (I have a battery isolator, bypassed it right now due to the second battery dying), and I have notice that the lights dim much more without the dedicated battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

The cap is there to help the alternator with peaks, but it doesn't magically make electricity where there is none. If your alternator and/or battery isn't up to the task, the cap can actually take power away from the amp. True, your lights may not dim as much, but it's just covering up a problem...like painting over rotten wood.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

4. Back To Top    #14

The cap is there to help the alternator with peaks, but it doesn't magically make electricity where there is none. If your alternator and/or battery isn't up to the task, the cap can actually take power away from the amp. True, your lights may not dim as much, but it's just covering up a problem...like painting over rotten wood.
    I know it's just there to help with the peak draw, believe me I know its not some magical device. It's just there to help the regulator. My personal experience with alternators is that its usually the regulator that fails. Yeah, I should probably be running a higher output alternator, but one expense at a time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle

I understand that money part fully

I hope that you don't think I was trying to be argumentative...trust me, it's use has been discussed (argued) many times over the years. Many of us have gone the capacitor route at one time (myself included) only to realize that it's not a fix-all.

6. Back To Top    #16

I understand that money part fully

I hope that you don't think I was trying to be argumentative...trust me, it's use has been discussed (argued) many times over the years. Many of us have gone the capacitor route at one time (myself included) only to realize that it's not a fix-all.
    Its all good, no hard feelings. Lol
    The only real fix-all for my setup is a winning scratch ticket. Still working on that, so for now I just rotate through upgrading components as the budget allows (actually the head unit I just bought wasn't really allowed for in the budget, hence why I'm sitting at home WITHOUT a beer in my hand). These certainly are trying times. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Rich

Red face Re: Hello all.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbocharged View Post
    I've stuffed boxes before, and you're right, the results are amazing.
    That has been my experience as well.

Welcome to the site!!

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Welcome aboard, Matt! We're a fairly new site, so the content is more about quality than it is quantity :thumbsup:

Nice system you've got there. I have to warn you that putting extra batteries and/or caps won't help a struggling alternator...it will actually be more of a strain.
    Only time I was impressed with a cap was when it 'ALL' was new !

I've installed a new 1 farad cap along with a new Soundstream amp, new Alpine HU, new Image Dynamics sub, battery , alternator, all in my nephew's car - got him through college ! 4 years.

I look @ capacitors as helping to keep new items from declining - but, installing them 'after' the dimming is a recipe for spending $$$$$$ [ batteries, alternators, etc..,]
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

... therefore I will keep my posting to a minimum.

Welcome Matt!