Thread: Helix HEC - Bluetooth or USB?

1. Back To Top    #1

Helix HEC - Bluetooth or USB?

Would there be a significant and noticeable improvement in sound quality changing from Bluetooth (aptX) to wired USB connection?

I'm thinking of swapping out the Bluetooth HEC card in my Helix DSP for a USB HEC input card. I only play Tidal from my phone (Samsung S20) direct to the DSP. I gather I would also need a USB OTG cable.

Bluetooth is really convenient, but I'm thinking I'm probably loosing some quality. Would it make much difference and would it be worth it?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Helix HEC - Bluetooth or USB?

I've been wondering that myself, I have the USB HEC installed, but very rarely use it since I switched from iPhone to Android. I bought a Bluetooth HEC, but haven't installed it yet.

3. Back To Top    #3

you could leave the BT module in there and use either the spdif/toslink or spdif/coax connection on your dsp. there's a few usb-dacs which can act as usb-to-spdif bridges, like the topping d10/d10s (toslink+coax), optoma nuforce udac3 (coax), or optoma nuforce udac5 (coax) to connect from your phone to your dsp's digital inputs. i'm sure there's others but i have experience with these ones.

or put in a usb-hec and grab something like an arc btd (new) or mosconi amas to go from BT to spdif/toslink into your dsp.

https://www.arcaudio.com/store?p=228845
    https://mosconi-america.com/portfolio/amas-96k/
    Last edited by nadams5755; 12-20-2020 at 02:53 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4

i like the usb-spdif bridges/converters because it keeps the usb runs short. powering a usb device 10-15' away can be a challenge and requires special cabling. however coax and toslink spdif work well over longer distances like that.