Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REW and Umik-1 - questions

1. Back To Top    #1

REW and Umik-1 - questions

Hello.

I had previously tuned my system using an Imm-6 mini microphone. I recently got a Umik-1 that came with a MiniDSP SHD I'm using for my home stereo. I need to readjust some levels in the car since I recently installed an MMATS 6150d which is now handling my Stevens Audio MB-6 Midbass (bridged w/ 300 watts) and my Audiomobile 10" GTS (on channel 5, 2 ohms, w/ 540 watts).

I was downloading the calibration files and it has two, 1. 90 degree, and 2. On axis.
    Which one do I want? Do the cabin gains mean that I want omni-directional? I don't mind pointing the mic at the speakers as I only have horns, midbass and a subwoofer.

Thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: REW and Umik-1 - questions

Most people use the 90 degree file if they take "moving mic" measurements with the MIC pointing straight up.

If pointing the MIC directly at the speakers, then the regular calibration would be used.

It's much easier to take moving MIC measurements with the MIC pointing straight up though, IMO...

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you. That is what I assumed but wanted to make sure. My Imm-6 had only one calibration file, yet in its manual it states its omnidirectional. I noticed the results were very different. After hitting my target curve, I tried the 31 bands to see if my imaging was right and it matched my target curve very closely (a few tweaks needed and not many surprises). So whatever I did with the Imm-6 seemed to work.

It'll be interesting to see how the Umik-1 with its appropriate calibration file is different.

Thanks again for the help.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

In reality, it doesn't really matter, the electret microphone capsule is so small it is basically omni-directional anyway. But the "norm" is to point it towards the ceiling the best as possible and use the 90 degree calibration file.

Reminder, when tuning, you should not be sitting in the seat or really in a spot that you can impact the sound arriving at the microphone (for home or car), ideally you'd be outside the vehicle. If that is not feasible, you can sit in the back seat and wave the mic in the front seat.

This is due to house curves not being designed with a human body in mind. Yes we sit there and will impact the sound, but those curves were made without a body.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post

Reminder, when tuning, you should not be sitting in the seat or really in a spot that you can impact the sound arriving at the microphone (for home or car), ideally you'd be outside the vehicle. If that is not feasible, you can sit in the back seat and wave the mic in the front seat.

This is due to house curves not being designed with a human body in mind. Yes we sit there and will impact the sound, but those curves were made without a body.
    I do not mean any offence; and I know that I am likely wrong and will get this explained to me...

However the last two paragraphs and the underlined parts make ‘theoretically’ no tangible sense. What good are house curves (or any target curve) if it doesn’t take into account the presence of a HUGE variable that WILL affect the sound response? In this case an occupant?

If the target curves are not designed with a human body in mind...then they are wrong and not suitable for purpose...?

Please let me know where I am wrong, cheers ��

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    I do not mean any offence; and I know that I am likely wrong and will get this explained to me...

However the last two paragraphs and the underlined parts make ‘theoretically’ no tangible sense. What good are house curves (or any target curve) if it doesn’t take into account the presence of a HUGE variable that WILL affect the sound response? In this case an occupant?

If the target curves are not designed with a human body in mind...then they are wrong and not suitable for purpose...?

Please let me know where I am wrong, cheers ��
    I may have mispoke on the house curves not being designed with the human body in mind, they are definitely designed to be what most people prefer to hear from speakers, but the house curve itself when EQ'ing is done when no one is there.

So if you EQ to it without anyone there, then you are matching the house curve and how it was designed/made. If you EQ it with someone sitting there and matching the curve, then you aren't actually matching that curve because you have changed a variable and added something new that is going to impact the sound. It would be impossible to have a house curve designed for one human, we are too different.

If you measured your response with you there and without, they would be different. If you match something designed for something without but use it with someone, your EQ may be too much in some areas and too little in others. In other words, you matched a curve, but not the one you wanted.

You could potentially measure your speaker response without you sitting there, then measure it with you there. See the differences, and then adjust your house curve to account for you by raising/lowering the differences.

Don't worry, I have been slowly understanding this concept over the past year or so. A lot of help from reading Floyd Toole's Book.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/11...&psc=1&fpw=alm
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

So it is an accepted norm to make sure that you tune your car without yourself present in it to listen to it (and to additionally vary any number of different things to the ‘acoustic environment’ at the same time)...?
    Wow...OK

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

I don't know if that is the "normal" thanks to Kyle Ragsdale's videos showing the exact opposite. But it should be the normal.

Honestly you can get a good sounding system by sitting in the seat and waiving the mic around. It does work. But, you really shouldn't be because than you aren't really tuning to that house curve.

Again, I have been realizing this over the past year thanks to Toole's book and talks with Erin H, Justin Zazzi, and Nick A (Skizer). Seriously though, everyone should read Toole's book if you are going to measure and EQ your speakers....it is that good and only $60....we spend thousands on upgrades and that is going to be way better than spending money elsewhere.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Buff View Post
    So it is an accepted norm to make sure that you tune your car without yourself present in it to listen to it (and to additionally vary any number of different things to the ‘acoustic environment’ at the same time)...?
    Wow...OK
    Yes, critical tuning AND critical listening are done from afar.

10. Back To Top    #10

Honestly, I'd rather measure and tune with my body in the drivers seat. Not only is it easier, but I really don't tune to a house curve anymore anyway. I may use one to do my very first EQ session to get in the ballpark, then I adjust to what I want and forget the curve - and I'd want to set the response with my body where it's normally going to be.

But honestly, I highly doubt it makes that much of a difference anyway - especially if you're not entering competitions. After all, you're tune doesn't take into account all of the road noise, car-generated noise, wind noise, "ambient" noise, etc - so unless you just sit and listen to your car without it running or actually driving it, it's not going to match the house curve anymore anyway. Besides, I haven't found a "pre-defined" house curve that I like anyway - at all.

Just sayin...