Thread: Opinions, perhaps from old timers

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    David
    Vehicle
    2001 Civic

Opinions, perhaps from old timers

I have been re-bitten. I accidentally sold all my amplifiers (Alpine PDX Gen1 Amps... a pair of 4.150s and a 1.1000) and I am now looking for replacements...

I found these:

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/ca...%5D&PortalID=1

Over at Parts Express. What are they like, today? As I recall, US Acoustics *used* to be a respectable product. I love A/B amplifiers, and I was considering a pair of Barbara Anns and a Mike. I want to bridge one of the BAs to my Adire 6's and run the other one to the mids and tweeters. I'll be using a Dayton Audio DSP408 for all the crossover, EQ and TD functions, so the crossover sections really hold no interest for me.

I'm really looking for opinions from everyone here, as I am that kind of guy... I just want as much input as I can get before I pull the trigger...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Eric

Re: Opinions, perhaps from old timers

Spec-wise, doesn't look like a bad amp at all, especially at the price. You could always pick one up, do a temporary setup just to see if you like it, and send it back if you don't?

3. Back To Top    #3

I used a Lisa for about a year. Nice sounding amp, but has a hint of a hiss if you're listening in a quiet setting. Switched to JL XDs and that went away. Overall I'd choose the XDs if doing it all over again for a couple reasons, but I liked the Lisa overall. Chinese amp, but quality was good. When I had questions about it, Mike Nicholls answered my email, so he's still running the show or at least was a few years ago.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    David
    Vehicle
    2001 Civic

Thanks, guys! I think, with the Parts Express return policy, I will drop the fundage. Reviews across the board seem to be rather favorable for the new class of amps from them, so...

I know as a bass amp, they are respectable, too, so a full US Acoustics system is in my "budget-minded" future.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If they're built like the post-Zed US Acoustics USX amps were in the early 2000's they should be damn near indestructible. I know of a USX2150 that against all odds is still alive. I'd have no problem running the new US Acoustics amps if the install allowed it.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have heard only good things about them from various sources. The overall consensus is they are a great amp for the money.

7. Back To Top    #7

US Acoustics makes solid products, the owner, Mike, is supportive of our community too.

I asked him if he’d considered raising prices so people wouldn’t be concerned with their performance relative to their affordability. He said he wouldn’t do it.