Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: receiver guts!

1. Back To Top    #1

receiver guts!

I recently replaced my television. Upon installation I realized how dusty my cabling and equipment had become on the backside of my entertainment center. This lead to a total dissasasembly to give a thorough cleaning. Once I was knee deep, I went a bit further and opened up a couple of pieces for dust removal. My trusty old demon receiver (avr-3802) got the full treatment. When I opened the case, I was impressed with the layout, and contents of this midline piece. So I pulled out the celly and snapped a few pics, imagining some of my fellow audio nerds might like to take a peek!

Last edited by claydo; 11-17-2013 at 11:30 AM.

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Nick
    Vehicle
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

Re: receiver guts!

Despite what some people in the Audiophile community think there were and are plenty of HTR's that have stout internals, and this is proof.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes for a mid line product I have always been impressed with this receiver. Its rated at 110×7, and while I've only run it with a five channel system, I believe the ratings are close if not accurate. It has never lacked any balls, and can finesse as good as it can slam. Overall its been an excellent purchase, and after more than 10 years.....(I think, there abouts) it still isn't lacking anything I deem necessary.....except maybe HDMI switching. Hell, the remote is even still awesome! Denon equipped this reciever with its "direct" mode as well, which disables all digital circuitry, and tone controls, and makes it a lovely musically adept source. What really got my attention upon opening it up though, was the layout. Obviously carefully planned, and beautiful. All the input circuitry lined up on one side of a sizable aluminum heatsink running the full depth of the unit, containing a fan (that I've never heard), then amp section on the other side of the sink. Then all power supply and output circuitry on the other side. It actually looks like it was planned by a person.....not AutoCAD just trying to squeeze chosen components in a chassis.......

5. Back To Top    #5

I see a large transformer, carefully placed daughter boards, some nice caps. That can't be bad.

Now that I've replaced it with the equivalent preamp, I'll open up my Arcam AVR-300 one day and take similar pics for you lot.
    Nick

6. Back To Top    #6

Cool I'd like to see it. I once saw a display b&k receiver with a plexi case......it was very nice.....but out of my price range...

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

Where are the 7 channels of amplifier located?

8. Back To Top    #8

Post 1 pics 4,5. The amp section is mounted directly to the big aluminum heat sink. At least I think.....I probably didn't get all of it in the pics......looks like 5 channels to me.....like I said, I may not have it all in the pics....cos its got the outputs.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

that's one channel.. of push/pull.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ugh, ok......in that case, I have no idea. My pretending only goes so far!.......lol