Re: A Different Sort of Build Thread

Looking good Miss!

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

You think you've taken enough material off to need a shorter chain?
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!

3. Back To Top    #33
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

No, I think a regular length chain will be just fine.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Today was a bit of a tedious day. I checked the block to see if it needed to be decked, and it did not. That was kind of a bummer because I wanted to use the CNC machine...LOL After the block was checked, it went into the wash:

The block got sprayed with WD-40 after it came out of the wash and was put away for the evening.

I ordered the rest of my rotating assembly today too. I'm sure the delivery person is going to hate me simply because of how much the crank weighs.
    Tomorrow I will install new valve guides in the cylinder heads and wash the block by hand. I may even get started on porting the heads after the guides are installed.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Paul
    Vehicle
    2006 MINI Cooper S Checkmate Edition

what is going to guide you with your porting? Are you doing it by hand?

6. Back To Top    #36
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by astrochex View Post
    what is going to guide you with your porting? Are you doing it by hand?

I hope this question is answered in this post.
    Tonight was another tedious but fun night. It started with me scrubbing down the block to make sure all of the dirt and debris was out of oil galleys and threads.

While I was cleaning the block, I put my cylinder heads in the wash so it would heat up. The purpose of doing that was so I could install the new valve guides easier.
    I learned a very valuable lesson tonight. That is being short needing to use a workbench designed for someone over 5' 5" sucks. After deciding that I wasn't going to be able to get the right angle on the guides on the bench, to the floor they went...LOL The guides are all installed at .682"

I also learned that going elbows deep in the parts washer can lead to interesting things happening to your skin.

Now I was elbows deep in the parts washer because I thought I lost one of my new valves. I had to clean the cosmoline (sp) off of them.

Jason and Zach thought I had lost my mind when I started laughing out of the blue. When I showed them my hands, they laughed too.
    I also got the exhaust ports Dykemed and scribed for porting tonight.

Tomorrow I will get my piston rings ground and installed on the pistons. Then I'll move on to honing the valve guides so that the new valves fit.
    I should also see my new bearings tomorrow. I hope my crankshaft adn rods show up by the end of the week.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissGTO View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]

I hope this question is answered in this post.
    Tonight was another tedious but fun night. It started with me scrubbing down the block to make sure all of the dirt and debris was out of oil galleys and threads.
    While I was cleaning the block, I put my cylinder heads in the wash so it would heat up. The purpose of doing that was so I could install the new valve guides easier.
    I learned a very valuable lesson tonight. That is being short needing to use a workbench designed for someone over 5' 5" sucks. After deciding that I wasn't going to be able to get the right angle on the guides on the bench, to the floor they went...LOL The guides are all installed at .682"
    I also learned that going elbows deep in the parts washer can lead to interesting things happening to your skin.
    Jason and Zach thought I had lost my mind when I started laughing out of the blue. When I showed them my hands, they laughed too.
    [URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/littlemissGTO/media/402%20Build/DSC_3283_2_zps5f8f510f.jpg.html]
    Excellent, Shauna !!

Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #38
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Tonight seemed to fly by. My bearings came in this morning so my first order of business was to measure all of them and figure out what my oil clearance is going to be. Main bearing clearance will be .0020". Which is right where I want it. The photo shows my rod bearing measurements.

The valve guides were honed and the new valves fit perfectly. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of that process. I left my camera at home, so you guys are stuck with cell phone pictures tonight...LOL
    Now that the guides are done, they are resting upstairs in the cylinder head room. I may get some flow numbers tomorrow. That just depends on if I get all of my rings filed or not.
    Disclaimer: That is NOT my cylinder head sitting on the flowbench.

My crank and rods will be here Monday, so I'll get all of my reciprocating and rotating weights done and know what to shoot for when I balance the crank.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Vehicle
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Tonight's goals were to get the rings gapped and start porting the heads. Well I got a pleasant surprise when I went to gap the rings. They were already gapped at .018" and .016". Thank you Robert. So all I had to do was mark the rings for the cylinders the are going in and I was done.

Since that was so easy, I got the rings, pistons, wrist pins, and locks weighed.

Now it's time for the worst part of my evening. I started porting the heads. Why was this the worst part of my evening? Two words: Flying metal. Shudders. It's amazing where little pieces of aluminum can get.
    I also learned that for this process, being short is and advantage.

I got the roughness of the exhaust ports ground out and just barely opened the port itself. Tomorrow, I will work on smoothing the area around the guide out a bit and remove all of the marks left behind by the cutter on this head. I should have some stock vs ported flow numbers by Monday. I want to finish porting and polishing this head first and then I'll flow both (ported and stock) the same night. Once the heads are done being ported I will cut the seats for the new valves and surface the heads. I'm thinking I'll only take off .005" to clean them up. As it stands my static CR will be 11.6:1.
    Monday will be exciting because my rods and crank will be here. I'll be able to get my rotating assembly balanced and start assembling the short block. If all goes well I'll have the timing chain, balancer, and gasket kit Wednesday.

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

LOOKING GOOD!!! That's excellent.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!