Thread: Resource for verifying time alignment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Resource for verifying time alignment?

I can't seem to find anything helpful for this, what I have found is old and REW has changed a lot or maybe I'm just not getting it. Since I had to take my audio signals after the factory Bose amplifier in my truck, I'm wondering if I'm fighting any Bose time alignment (and possibly some FR issues but that's another topic) so I'd like to verify whether it's right or not. I read something about a feedback loop somewhere and I'm not sure if that's dealing with the time alignment but my laptop only has one plug that doubles as a microphone and headphone jack so I don't know if that will have any affect.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Resource for verifying time alignment?

What truck is it? If it's something even somewhat new, you arent fighting ta or fir filters. You are fighting all pass filters.. good luck lol.

Best choice here is to either match the all pass filter to a t on the opposite side speaker(s), or use no signal delay and let the bose processing do its thing. See how that works. The later is the industry recommended procedure for integrating into Bose systems or other systems with all pass filters or upmixers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

If you are using Bose after the amplifier in anything newer, you are best off not summing and not attempting to do TA.
    Doug Dobson

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    What truck is it? If it's something even somewhat new, you arent fighting ta or fir filters. You are fighting all pass filters.. good luck lol.

Best choice here is to either match the all pass filter to a t on the opposite side speaker(s), or use no signal delay and let the bose processing do its thing. See how that works. The later is the industry recommended procedure for integrating into Bose systems or other systems with all pass filters or upmixers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    It is an 08 Escalade. How do I know if I'm fighting an all pass filter? I did try turning the time alignment "off" and I thought it didn't sound as good (I used the tape measure method) but I probably should have left it like that for longer than I did. If I'm using the Bose processing, should I change the setting on the radio to "driver" mode? I left it on "normal" thinking that was the least intrusive setting. I'm using a SI TM65 MKIII/GB25/GB10 three way with an Arc PS8 DSP.

The main reason I was thinking there might be an issue with TA is because the frequencies the GB25 is now handling were originally handled by the door speakers so those are coming from a different location now. I also can't Get the crossovers as low as I want on the GB25's because there is a huge dip in the FR at 310Hz but a "peak" at 200Hz. That "peak" will come up to the target curve if I set the crossover at 200Hz but then there's the dip at 310Hz so I've got the crossover point on the GB25 at 350Hz and at 450Hz for the TM65 to get good FR at the crossover.

5. Back To Top    #5

I will add to this that right now I’ve got the truck sounding pretty darn good despite everything. I think what my last thing to fix is the mid bass. I don’t know exactly how to describe it but it almost sounds hollow in the door. I don’t think it has always sounded like that so I was going to pull the door panel and see if it sounds the same and see if the speaker tweaker came loose or something.

If I am indeed fighting factory processing, would something like a JL Fix 82 between my factory amp and Arc PS8 help me?