Thread: Mounting to ABS

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Mounting to ABS

Hey All,
    I am building a new amp rack for the back wall in my truck. I am going to use 1/4" ABS so that I can form it better with heat to the mounting points. Normally I use t-nuts/hurricane nuts in wood to mount my stuff to the rack. I could use those in this case but I am never really satisfied with them.

I have thought about some rivnuts but from my research it doesn't seem like plastic will be strong enough for that.

I don't like the idea of just using screws, I want something better than that!

I have thought about using nuts/bolts but then I really have to remove the entire thing if I need to do anything minor on it. Would rather just be able to remove a single item if I need to.

What are your suggestions?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mounting to ABS

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Hey All,
    I am building a new amp rack for the back wall in my truck. I am going to use 1/4" ABS so that I can form it better with heat to the mounting points. Normally I use t-nuts/hurricane nuts in wood to mount my stuff to the rack. I could use those in this case but I am never really satisfied with them.

I have thought about some rivnuts but from my research it doesn't seem like plastic will be strong enough for that.

I have thought about using nuts/bolts but then I really have to remove the entire thing if I need to do anything minor on it. Would rather just be able to remove a single item if I need to.

What are your suggestions?
    You can use a large flange cross cut rivet nut like this: https://www.amazon.com/S25MG280-PRE-...l&sr=1-1-fkmr1

I have also used washers on regular rivnuts...

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #3

I use split brass inserts, basically a slightly tapered, knurled outer, threaded tube, either with a flange or literally just a tube... you drill a slightly undersized hole, insert the threaded insert and then when you insert a bolt it opens it up slightly and ‘grabs’ the plastic

that’s an m3 in the pic but you get the idea I hope

called threaded brass expansion inserts on eBay, not sure if that’s the widely used name mind, I have them at work upto M5... I doubted how strong they’d be, but once I’d used one in the dash of my van that was only M3 I was very impressed ��
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B5B7AC7-B2A5-422E-8534-8C4C2101B2EC.jpeg 
Views:	290 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	7545  

4. Back To Top    #4
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

If you find 1/4" thickness is not enough, you can make a slurry of abs shavings and acetone. That slurry can be used to weld pieces of ABS to itself. You could for example use some tee nuts and then make a captive plate/flange on the back side if you want to make super sure the tee nut doesn't fall out. Or one of the other good ideas above.

Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

5. Back To Top    #5

I just use screws and zip ties. But I would like to find a good rivnut solution.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    If you find 1/4" thickness is not enough, you can make a slurry of abs shavings and acetone. That slurry can be used to weld pieces of ABS to itself. You could for example use some tee nuts and then make a captive plate/flange on the back side if you want to make super sure the tee nut doesn't fall out. Or one of the other good ideas above.

I used the ‘acetone glue’ made exactly like that to fix partitions in my fishing seat box trays to make dividers, works a treat! Never moved despite a few seasons use! It’s effectively like welding for abs as it involves a filler and a method of melting the plastic (acetone) and so is as strong as hell vs any kind of glue I’ve ever stuck plastic with

from memory I think I just filled a jar with acetone and bought some abs ‘Spaghetti’ sticks and cut them into 1cm pieces and kept adding them until I had a consistency of a pva wood glue ����

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Sounds like you are shooting for something good looking like button-head hex screws (Ex: https://www.amazon.com/Hex-Screw-But.../dp/B079C8FKNH)? I have seen very few "good looking" screws that are only 1/4" long which is what a 1/4" thick rack will limit you to unless you are planning to drill through the truck wall to use something longer. Are you wanting to mold the rack to the back wall for space reasons or looks?

8. Back To Top    #8

I would abs weld the nuts with some washers and be done with it. Then you can use whatever decorative bolt you want.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Wow all of these are some great ideas. I like the idea of using t-nuts and using some ABS slurry to weld it in place. Mainly because it doesn't require me to buy anything extra since I already have them and the bolts.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Vehicle
    4Runner & Altima Coupe

Not sure if these would be an option or not. They are just a little longer than 1/4".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I've got a budget of $1,000. That should be more than enough.