I originally posted on DIYMA earlier this year looking for help choosing equipment for a budget build. I was quickly introduced to the world of DSPs and active setups. My brain hurt for a while, but I learned a lot. I'm not new to car audio, but this would be my first attempt at actively tuning a car stereo.

My goal was to use the stock radio and all stock speaker locations. So no custom pillars, pods, boxes, etc. Just a super basic install that could be entrusted to my local best buy. I wanted the music to play loud, clear, with a good amount of thump. I listen to a wide variety of genre's classic rock, rap, edm, jam band, pop, metal.

Final list of equipment.
*Dayton DSP-408 w/ bluetooth dongle and wired remote.
*Pioneer GM-D9705 5 ch amp
*Hertz Mille MPK165P.3 6.5" Components
*Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12
*Sound Ordnance pre-fab ported box
*Stinger 6000 RCAs
*Chinese ebay fast rings
*Ballistic sound deadening 20 sq ft

The install went pretty smooth. Only one hiccup because the goofballs at Dayton mixed up the channels internally on the DSP. A problem that other people had experienced.

So fast forward, after multiple tuning attempts with EQ wizard and playing with crossover points, the Hertz MP 25.3 tweeters were just too bright. Even after the addition of a dash designs dash mat to reduce reflections. Replaced with some used Audiofrog gb10s found in the classifieds and wow what a difference. Amazing clarity and smooth. Also I found that I got the best sound quality bypassing the stock head unit completely and streaming bluetooth directly from my Samsung S10+ to the Dayton dsp.

The system sounds great. Better than anything I've had in the past. But I've got the bug now and feel like it could always get better. I think the Hertz experiment is over and time for something different. Off axis I am running into beaming from the 6.5s. Maybe one of you pro's can chime in regarding a decent raw driver(budget minded). Maybe SB17s, or SEAS that would sound good off axis in the stock speaker location.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk