Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it just me?

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: is it just me?

No, the loud turns off the picking it apart thing because I can't hear myself think......lol. I really just enjoy loud music, and the reason I'm happier loud is my volume is usually dictated by how much I'm enjoying the music currently playing. When a favorite is playing, or just something that is hitting the spot particularly well at the moment, that's what gets me to crank it. When I'm enjoying the music, I'm typically not thinking about anything...........really the part I love the most. I don't tune loud, and other than crossover points that allow me to really push it, I don't tune just to play loud. Loud is just a byproduct of my love for great music. The issues that bring me to retune sometimes vary, sometimes its a desire to try to dig out more depth, others it may be for bass coherence, a rather frequent one that I feel may be my hearing changes, because it bothers me the most, is image shift in the upper midrange/lower treble. I think this is linked to physical variables because I'll regularly tune this issue into circles over a few days time, and previous settings will sound spot on again. Overall though, I think I just enjoy tinkering with my sound enough that I can't quit doing it!

2. Back To Top    #12

when you blast your tunes you saturate the inner ear mechanism to the point where it doesn't fluctuate any more. Then you collapse the image into a single point in space, because your mind can't do psychoacoustic measurements with an overloaded meter.

that's why you don't need to tinker with it at that moment, it's so loud that nuance and normal dynamic parts of songs become your own little distortion pool where everything is saturated in the same gunk overload.

then your ears are so saturated they are ringing, and it takes several minutes before you bring it down to where you can trust what you hear again.

in those minutes, your auditory memory span will tend to make gross generalizations of the sound, "too tinny" or "dull, not enough highs" or "couldn't hear the midbass distinctly" or whatever, you lose your bearings.

also, tuning a system for good sound at reasonable volumes, isn't always able to transfer to high volumes that well. And some frequencies, once excited find their resonant harmonics much more objectionable "at speed" than if the volume remained low throughout the tuning session.

in other words, quality doesn't always follow volume in a linear fashion, sometimes a really crap tune will "come alive" with power, and sometimes a quality tune will disintegrate at higher volumes.

it's not as dramatic as all that, but you get the drift. Don't always assume that a low volume tune is going to mean the best sound at higher volumes, especially in the confines of a highly reflective interior space.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

I pretty much tune for a target volume, you have to in reality.

4. Back To Top    #14

High volume listening isn't what sends me to retune, its lower volume "critical listening" that drives the urges. I also don't believe it to be an issue in need of troubleshooting, rather just an out of control desire by myself in search of minute improvements, and adjustments made to compensate for hearing irregularities that seem to change regularly! While my system is far from perfect, I believe the problem lies with my addiction to tuning and hearing variances, rather than actual problems with the system. I was just checking to see if anyone could relate...

5. Back To Top    #15

Of all the systems I've listened to/helped with/built/tuned myself, very few are linear. Most change dramatically (for my needs anyway) with volume. EMMA has a certain test incorporated in their sq comp scheme, but IMO it's not enough (3 different volume levels). My system always passed that test with ease, but still I knew it could do better.

Non-linearity will do that to you, you don't know where to begin fixing stuff at a certain volume, yet at another everything's fine.
    Nick

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Chad, among other colorful phrases.
    Vehicle
    2004 Civic Si

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

The report states that it is fortunate that the 40-phon Fletcher–Munson curve on which the A-weighting standard was based turns out to have been in agreement with modern determinations.

The article also comments on the large differences apparent in the low-frequency region, which remain unexplained.
    Unexplained ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

I tend to set it and leave it. Learned a long time ago that anything and everything will change how any given tune sounds. I might do some minimal eq work if the cd being played requires it but that's it. At Erin's g2g one of the first things I said was I'm getting cranky and don't like it as loud as I used to. I kept everyone's system at a reasonable level and most everyone kept mine at a reasonable level. Not having trashed ears kept my turnaround time at a minimum meaning I could hop from car to car without feeling fatigued. If you want to break the habit of tuning for the moment you could always get a processor that requires a laptop to run it. Then have someone hide the laptop.

9. Back To Top    #19
    a boom box is not a toy jowens500's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    1996 Honda Civic 3 Door

I haven't touched the EQ in the Accord in so long, I don't even remember how long it's been.

10. Back To Top    #20

Hide the laptop!.......I like that one Chris, and welcome to the forum!