Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

What you KEEP falling to comprehend is the whole power remaining a constant.

How in the hell can you not read what I keep typing repeatedly and get it in your head?

1000RMS vs 1000RMS is 1000RMS regardless.

I don't give a fuck that an amplifier can produce more power on a lower load, if the damn thing is setup so power produced remains constant, then there is no difference.

Here, let me make it easier for YOU to comprehend. Using a JL Audio Slash v2 Series 1000/1v2, which is rated at 1000RMS from 1.5-4 ohms and has a regulated power supply so it's power produced varies very little regardless of the load presented, are you STILL going to sit here and spew all this bullshit about ohms law and power produced when it has NOTHING to do with my theoretical question?

The only thing you have posted that could even possibly be a plausible argument is the whole amperage/voltage (ratio?).

Not so sure there would be an audible difference between 63.24v into a 4 ohm load vs 44.72v into a 2 ohm load, 1000RMS is 1000RMS.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

Too much thinking in 1 day , but if none of this makes any sense , I will trade you one of my amps that makes a 1,000 watts into 1 ohm for an amp that makes a 1,000 watts into 8 ohms

3. Back To Top    #33
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

I actually just sold a Sundown amp to Jordan who was running the JL Audio 1,0001 mono .

JL has put quite alot of protection in their amps, for their amps.
    If clipping occurs the amp dials back and in testing once the voltage dropped to 9 volts the amp did not complete it's sweep ( no results ).

The "unregulated" power supply in certain amps helps to produce power when going isn't easy.
    A common move by some people is to try to get amp to make the most power by getting it to lock in @ 1.5 ohms.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

From that link:

Do dual voice coils offer a performance advantage? Not really. Do they offer any benefit over a conventional single voice coil design? Definitely...The primary advantage of the dual voice coil speaker is wiring flexibility. A single dual voice coil driver offers the user three hookup choices…parallel, series and independent.
    So there you have it.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

I don't get why you are so fixated on the amplifier, it is NOT related to my initial question.

I'm not sure where this whole 1000RMS@8 ohm amp came into play, but whatever. Even then, if the amp is so heavily regulated that power output between 1 ohm and 8 ohms remains close enough to easily limit output to an even 1000RMS in this scenario, are you still telling me that the setup wired at 1ohm will perform noticeably different from the same setup wired for 8 ohms final and getting the same 1000RMS?

You've already linked to a page that specifically states there would be NO audible difference, so don't go contradicting the "proof" you posted when it backs up what I'm saying.

6. Back To Top    #36
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

I like what I hear when a dual voice coil sub is wired in parallel ( 1 ohm coils connected to show 1/2 ohm ) and no I have never competed in an SPL contest , but I bought a sub from BigRed that he used to burp with.
    His name is in books , SPL & SQ ( maybe he doesn't know what he is doing ?)
    JL charges 1/2 of the price of a new amp (flat rate) to repair them. JL is in the business to make money and they do ! There are people who hate JL (prices).

Believe what you read if you want to or use your ears and see if it sounds differently than what you read.

POTUS don't believe what he reads.

7. Back To Top    #37
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Weigel21 , I bow down to your astuteness !

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

If you don't believe what was written in the article you linked, then why the hell post the link and then tell us it's wrong after the fact?|

From the link.

"A dual voice coil speaker will behave exactly the same way whether it is wired with its coils in series or parallel. The only thing that changes is the impedance that the amplifier sees. This means that enclosure calculations are constant for dual voice coil woofers, no matter how the coils are connected to each other, as long as both are connected."

9. Back To Top    #39
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

He's not talking about the ohm load the amp is seeing...of course an amp will put out more power to a 2ohm load than it would to a 4ohm load. What he's asking is if a 2ohm sub and a 4ohm sub both saw the exact same power, would you hear a difference? The answer is no!

10. Back To Top    #40
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

The amount of power will be same the ratios might be different (current/voltage) due to resistance .

More current means more "hit" bigger wires to handle bigger flow rate.