Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

1. Back To Top    #21

Re: Toslink output equipped head units... Where they be?

Yep. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Joying digital output. I have one in one of my cars. Liked it so much I moving one in to my Maxima.

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by mark3004 View Post
    I really doubt about it. Someone said it sound really bad compared with REAL HIGH QUALITY digital source. I'm afraid they just convert analogic signal with some cheap board converter into toslink.
    Lol spoken like someone who has no experience or any idea how audio signal paths even work, just spouting off "I heard once on the interwebs"

Sorry but that would be more work than just grabbing the digital signal from the chip... I have a Joying that was purchased just to play with and see if it is worth putting one in my BMW project. Its been on the bench providing signal duty for the shop system for about 4 months now... no issues whatsoever... When I do finally get around to installing it, I will probably get a couple more. The 8 core devices are really really nice for the price.

3. Back To Top    #23

I kind of feel the same way. Anyone that's had a bad experience seems to be with older units or their cheaper line.

4. Back To Top    #24

a year ago, a major drawback with the joyings was insufficient cooling. you'd fire up maps or other things and the system would thermal throttle. it was most noticeable during summer months.

one of my friends pulled his apart and attached a heatsink to the cpu and that helped many cases. an active fan helped the remaining cases (but low/slow enough to be inaudible)

his was also analog-out only and noisy as hell. he tapped into the i2s bus and fed it into a toslink/spdif output device for his dsp.

it worked i guess. there was other software/integration stuff that made it tough to live with daily, so he aborted it.