Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Smart ForTwo

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Richard

Re: 2009 Smart ForTwo

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    I'd like to see a little more investigative reports on those Carbons, as I can't help but be prejudiced towards the Kef modeling so far on edge termination and point source accuracy. The high cost helps keep that 'cachet' of competition level, but I'm wondering if the DSP can bring the Carbons to the Kef, making comparison purposes academic.
    What's the Fs on the Kefs? I don't have the data otoh, but IIRC, Erin mentioned not very low and comparable to some 3s. Keep in mind that in this design, a pair of 8s was not required .

2. Back To Top    #22

Quote Originally Posted by papasin View Post
    What's the Fs on the Kefs? I don't have the data otoh, but IIRC, Erin mentioned not very low and comparable to some 3s. Keep in mind that in this design, a pair of 8s was not required .
    there appear to be several versions of their design that have lower Fs and then there's the more midrange pluck from erin's build. I would have bet that Kef has drivers that are intrinsically better suited to produce a flatter baseline from on and off axis positions, but the Carbons might have that off-axis consistency or desirable characteristic, that makes the need for more reflection control, moot in the confines of a car. Or, maybe the Carbons have something in their polar plots that help in a car build, whereas the Kef is a little too "omni" for the car?

I don't know, that's why I'd like to have more information on the Carbons. They appear to be well made, they cost a great bundle and I haven't heard them yet, so all things considered, my post is just conspicuous wondering?

no harm no foo.. wasn't trying to say a bad choice has been made, just a roundabout in determining for myself which install is likely to be more 'talent' (inherent properties) and which is more 'finesse' (good manipulation)

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
    there appear to be several versions of their design that have lower Fs and then there's the more midrange pluck from erin's build. I would have bet that Kef has drivers that are intrinsically better suited to produce a flatter baseline from on and off axis positions, but the Carbons might have that off-axis consistency or desirable characteristic, that makes the need for more reflection control, moot in the confines of a car. Or, maybe the Carbons have something in their polar plots that help in a car build, whereas the Kef is a little too "omni" for the car?

I don't know, that's why I'd like to have more information on the Carbons. They appear to be well made, they cost a great bundle and I haven't heard them yet, so all things considered, my post is just conspicuous wondering?

no harm no foo.. wasn't trying to say a bad choice has been made, just a roundabout in determining for myself which install is likely to be more 'talent' (inherent properties) and which is more 'finesse' (good manipulation)
    Gotcha. The choice for us wasn't that hard. It helps that JT is a dealer, so the drivers were part of the install but I'm sure you're referring to the cost of retail. If you think the point source cost is high, you should look at the sub .

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Richard

Forgot to update here, but to catch up folks from the recent 2013 MECA CA State Finals, the car did well and finished 2nd in its class, with a top 5 SQ score out of over 15 cars (and this includes a couple Master vehicles, with it only being a couple points from SQ best of show). The head judge even said that it is going to be a very very impressive platform. What we didn't tell folks was it actually blew a driver the night before, and fortunately, the Mrs was prepared and had a spare on hand and we were able to swap things out, but the tune ended up being redone a bit the night before, so really the tune was pretty new/basic.

Anyway, it did get the medal below which was well deserved:

We wanted to thank everyone for the congratulations and warm welcome back. We got around to taking a picture of our cars with our 2013 haul, despite taking a break for 4 months or so. I guess it's not too bad for our first year all things considered . The Mrs is enjoying the car very much and the tune is only getting better!

5. Back To Top    #25

Congrats to you and yours on all the hardware this year! Glad your state finals were worth attending, too. Mine, not so much, 3 sq cars total, all in different classes.....oh well. Sounds like the smart had a terrific debut, who knows how far she can take it once the instal is more familiar! Out of curiosity, what led to the blown driver? Good thing you guys had a spare.......

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Martin
    Vehicle
    Civic,Dodge Journey

Go team Papasin!

- - - Updated - - -

Impatiently waiting on updates for the Civ

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by claydo View Post
    Congrats to you and yours on all the hardware this year! Glad your state finals were worth attending, too. Mine, not so much, 3 sq cars total, all in different classes.....oh well. Sounds like the smart had a terrific debut, who knows how far she can take it once the instal is more familiar! Out of curiosity, what led to the blown driver? Good thing you guys had a spare.......
    Yeah, Cali state finals usually is well attended. Wife finished 2nd in Extreme and there were 3 in her class...but Modified in CA specifically is always highly competed. There were 6 cars this year at our state finals, and all 6 were easily capable of being on the podium. In fact, 6th place was last year's 2nd place at state finals. Every single car in Modified also podiumed at a comp this year with all those comps always having more than 4 cars. 3rd place was the CA state points leader for the class. 1st place was last year's 3rd place. I was fortunate to finish 2nd .

Quote Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
    Go team Papasin!

- - - Updated - - -

Impatiently waiting on updates for the Civ
    It's updated on 8thCivic and that other forum. Do you mean you want a build thread on here too?

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Martin
    Vehicle
    Civic,Dodge Journey

Quote Originally Posted by papasin View Post
    It's updated on 8thCivic and that other forum. Do you mean you want a build thread on here too?
    You know what I am talking 'bout...

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by IBcivic View Post
    You know what I am talking 'bout...
    Oh, that. It's coming .

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Tim
    Vehicle
    1993 Dodge Dakota, 2003 Subaru Outback

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

I hate those cars.

But this is awesome.
    Please leave your comments in the box outside my door, right underneath the sign that reads: Shame T. Llama, phD. Your thoughts are very important to me!