Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whining - whining, Whining, WHINING! UGH!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Whining - whining, Whining, WHINING! UGH!

So, can anyone tell me if the Pioneer NEX units still have a pico fuse? I have whine I CANNOT get rid of. I swapped processors out, I think I have ALWAYS had a tiny bit, but the C-DSP 6x8 I thought was the culprit. So, I swapped in an Arc PS8, and it got WORSE. My installer friend spent some time trying to rig up a jumper on the RCAs from the input side to the output side which seemed to help, but it wouldn't stay in place very well, apparently. It was much better, but the next morning it was bad again.

So I pulled the headunit and tried to run a ground from the RCAs to the chassis of the headunit, I felt like it helped, but it is apparently not very stable and the whine is bad again. I mean, there's not a good way to really wrap a wire around the RCA grounds and get it to stay. He was suggesting opening up the Arc and soldering in a jumper, but I really don't want to do that, and I know this whole thing is a band-aid issue anyways.

I mean, I guess it must be the headunit, if I unplug the RCAs, the whine goes away. I've also got a little bit of hiss, as well, but that's not super noticeable. The whine is killing me, though. I'm literally ready to pull my headunit and send it somewhere to have someone fix it if there is a pico fuse, I'm not 100% sure that is the issue, but holy cripes, I can't keep listening to this. Grounds are all solid, the processors is grounded back to the headunit, which is grounded to the vehicle's wiring harness. All the amps ground back into the engine bay to this:

It also has only intermittent Nav function, this is mostly gone, but does come back periodically for a day or two. And I cannot get my phone to connect via AndroidAuto - it used to, years ago, but no more. I saw some service on Ebay to send in the headunit and fix the nav stuff, and I wondered if this would also fix the phone connectivity - but that isn't a dealbreaker either way. But finding someone who could do the nav and the pico fuse at the same time (IF that is what this is) would be helpful.

Maybe I just need a need a new headunit, but I really want a double-DIN with high-end 3-way processing, but I don't know what else to do. I'd rather get away from using a processor altogether, but with HLCDs, I need the EQ capabilities, really.

Suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

Re: Whining - whining, Whining, WHINING! UGH!

You might try grounding the head unit and processor somewhere else, instead of through the vehicle's harness.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Danny

I could try that... running a wire into the engine bay to ground with everything else would make the most sense.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Danny

Yeah... last resort.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

P-90R ? Is this a Pioneer H. U. with 4-Way processing ?
    Get a diff H. U. ?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Danny

Pioneer 8100-NEX.

Not using any of the processing, just the touchscreen and preouts. A new deck is a possibility, but anything comparable is north of $500. At least.

8. Back To Top    #8

Any way you could try another head-unit? Just make sure you use the same power and ground in order to know if it is coming from your car or the HU

One thing to try is to install a capacitor as close as possible to the alternator, read that in some cars that can work.

Best regards,

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Any way you could try another head-unit? Just make sure you use the same power and ground in order to know if it is coming from your car or the HU

One thing to try is to install a capacitor as close as possible to the alternator, read that in some cars that can work.

Best regards,
    Only thing I have is an old Nak CD unit. It would be a chore, but I might be able to try that. I do have a 5F cap under the dash, wired in parallel like an amplifier.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Do you use resistor type spark plugs?
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]