Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Re: How many watts for speaker formula

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Theoretically . . .
    So adding radiating surface area will increase loudness

Kelvin
    If ever you need to choose b`tween watts or speakers . . .
    In `reality` . . . (go with x amount of speakers) ! ! !
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]

2. Back To Top    #32

Quote Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
    Theoretically... You have 1 speaker with 100 watts available
    Add a second speaker, now you have 2 speakers and 50 watts each (total 100 watts), then you gain 3dB
    Add 100 watts so that each speaker sees 100 watts (total 200 watts), then you gain another 3dB
    So adding radiating surface area will increase loudness but will not give you the perceived sound as being twice as loud...

Kelvin

PS: could be wrong in my math but that's how I understand it
    You are absolutely correct. Also, a 10 db increase is a perceived doubling of loudness.
    On the electrical side of things, a 3 db increase is equivalent to double the wattage, a 6 db increase doubles voltage thus power is quadrupled, and a 10 db increase requires about 10 times the wattage. I read, and re-read, a very long explanation to learn this. The electrical values are what confuses people about perceived loudness.

3. Back To Top    #33

Quote Originally Posted by Hic View Post
    Now we are getting somewhere !
    1 speaker plus X amount of watts equals X amount of decibels !

Two , four , six speakers with X amount of watts equals X amount of decibels.

To get twice as much ? { add watts? Add speakers? }

If I am hearing 1 1/2 decibels coming from 1 speaker , then add another speaker it allows me to hear how many decibels (all things mirrored)?
    So . . . Watts increase decibels ? Does SD (surface area ) increase decibels ?

One and a half decibels plus three decibels = 4 decibels ?
    Three decibels per speaker ( line array ) ?
    See my post above.
    Lets say your theoretical single speaker plays at 1 1/2 db, you add one more but no additional power, you get 3 db more for a total of 4 1/2 db. In order to get 3 db more than the 2 speakers you have now, you have to add 2 more speakers. In order to get 3 more db, you now have to add 4 more speakers for a total of 10 1/2 db from 8 total speakers with the same exact power as you had running 1 speaker.
    Instead of doubling Sd or surface area you could double wattage and get the same results.
    So for each doubling of Sd you get 3 db, for each doubling of power you get 3 db.
    To perceive double the loudness, you'll need a 10 db increase, meaning 10 times the wattage, or 10 times the Sd. That also means that to perceive quadruple the loudness you'll need 100 times the power or Sd.
    Of course there are limitations to how practical it is to gain spl. Xmax, electrical power on tap, size of the vehicle, structural integrity, etc.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Hic
    Vehicle
    99 Contour SVT

Thank You ckirocZ28,

Have you seen a semi-trailer backup generator @ a hospital, before ?
    One of those, a gravel pit, a circus tent ( or parachute spread out and supported ) .

Might make for a memorable event out in un-inhabitted area { dessert, woods, et cetera }
    Viewing Smilies , you trying to access privileged system?¤Somewhere 0ut There¤}]